Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I know you can make mobiles a hotspot to share a 3G cellar signal, but for example can you share an iPads WiFi with other devices?

What I want is for a WiFi on the iPad which is using an WiFi login to share this to a phone. I can't see hotspot in the iPad settings, is this possible ar all?

Thanks

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
No. The wifi can only be connected to one thing at a time, so if it's being used to connect to an incoming connection, it can't be used to connect to an outgoing connection.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
No. The wifi can only be connected to one thing at a time, so if it's being used to connect to an incoming connection, it can't be used to connect to an outgoing connection.

Ah ok, so you can't use the Bluetooth then? ie WiFi for using for data, and BT for the connection from iPad to phone?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Ah ok, so you can't use the Bluetooth then? ie WiFi for using for data, and BT for the connection from iPad to phone?

Bluetooth connection is separate from wifi, so you can use wifi for data while you do something else with Bluetooth. But I'm not sure what you can do over Bluetooth between an iPad and iPhone -- the only uses I'm aware of is to play some games, and AirDrop files between the devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.