Anyway to make the time capsule stream videos better?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by appleguy123, Dec 6, 2015.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Since my Macbook pro doesn't have a lot of on-board storage, I use my time capsule as an external wifi hard drive to store videos.

But this results in a lot of dropped frames and freezes sometimes. Is there any software to make this better? By that I would mean something that would buffer the video I'm trying to play to my hard drive, and then delete it after watching, or something like that.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

if the file isn't getting to you computer fast enough for a video player, it won't get there fast enough for another piece of software either.

2 options really,
    1. copy the file to your local drive before you watch.

2. increase your available network bandwidth
    • google about optimizing your wi-fi network
    • try cutting down other network activity while you're trying to watch movies.
    • run an ethernet cable.
    • possibly upgrading your network hardware, but if your problem is poor placement of hardware, or an interference in your environment, new hardware probably won't help
    -----
    edit
    possible VLC to play it, and adjust the buffer settings
    http://www.groovypost.com/howto/change-vlc-streaming-buffer/

3. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Are you storing raw HD video or transcoding/compressing first? What most of us do is compress HD video using HandBrake. There is little or no reduction in video quality. If you want to view the original, play it from your local hard drive.