Anyway to restore to 4.2.1?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Timisone, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Timisone macrumors member

I already have 4.2.1 installed on my phone, I am just getting a lot of errors and want to start fresh.

2. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Only if you have previously saved SHSH blobs for 4.2.1 either on Cydia or Tiny Umbrella. If your phone is jailbroken check Cydia screen and see what it says at top.

3. sbddude macrumors 6502a

I'm also experiencing some issues. OP, what issues are you having?

It's gotten worse for me lateley, my phone freezes/locks up and I have to hold home+power to force reboot. This happens once every day or 2.

I hope there is a way to fix it without restoring because everything is set up just how I like it, and I have angry birds scores and such that will be lost if I restore.

However, last resort I will go ahead with the restore. In cydia, I see SHSH saved for 4.2.1. Does this mean I can restore directly to 4.2.1? What is the procedure?

4. Timisone thread starter macrumors member

I have shsh 4.0.1 4.1 4.2.1 .4.2b. When installing stuff in cydia i get error messages and it doesn't install. I keep get The device isnt eligible for the requested build.

5. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

You are getting those errors because you are not making use of the SHSH correctly.

There are two methods

1. Use Cydia: This involves changing the host file to point to cydia instead of apple. This enables Cydia to fake out the signing. There is an easy method to change your host file, Just open Tiny umbrella and leave it open during the restore. This will automatically change your host file and the restore will work correcty.

2. Use Tiny umbrella: Tiny umbrella can also do the fake out with the SHSH but you have to (a) download the SHSH files to your desktop from cydia, you do this by opening Tiny Umbrella and selecting Save Shsh. It will get copies of all your shsh files from cydia and put then on your computer. After you have them on your computer you start TSS server in tiny umbrella and then do the restore.

Personally I find method 1 simpler just open Tiny umbrella and leave it open during the restore. One point to note is that Tiny umbrella will leave your host file pointing to cydia when you are done unless you go to advance mode and uncheck the box that says something like "uncheck to put host file back to normal"

6. Timisone thread starter macrumors member

Thank you trying Tiny umbrella now.

7. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

8. Timisone thread starter macrumors member

9. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

Do I use the same method to downgrade to 4.2.1 from 4.3? The iPhone was jailbroken already then upgraded to 4.3

10. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

lol!