Anyway to return my iPhone after 30 days?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Acejam2k, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Acejam2k macrumors regular

Hey all,

I bought my iPhone 4 on ~ July 10/11th if I remember correctly. So I've had it just over 30 days, and it has been working fine up until this past weekend, which is why I never returned it during the initial 30.

On Saturday I "dropped" 10 calls, which was very very frustrating. These calls were all made from the same location, without moving, and I've been making calls here with AT&T for several years, before with my iPhone 3G, Nexus One, etc. Never had any issues or ANY dropped calls like this.

Long story short - I went to the "Genius" bar, and was informed that I didn't drop any calls - but rather I had 10 "Modem Resets". (The phone said "call failed" each time)

I was then asked to go home and restore my phone, and set it up as new, which I did. Long story short - driving in to work today and it happened again. I'm beginning to really dislike this.

When I was at the mall I asked about returning the phone after 30 days - and they said it was really up to AT&T since they "paid" for the subsidy - so they sent me off to the AT&T store down at the other end of the mall. AT&T basically said it's up to Apple - and that I would be best to just sell it to a private party (ebay/craigslist) as I could get huge $$ for it right now. However, I don't like the feeling of being locked in to AT&T for another 2 years, and having nothing to show for it.

If I do return the phone, I"ll be going back to my amazing Nexus One. This thread is not and Android vs. iPhone debate. It's about how I can return my iPhone after 30 days (~42 days) and what I should say at the Apple/AT&T store.

Any advice?

Thanks,
    Ace

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The guy at the AT&T store is correct. You sell the iPhone on eBay/craigslist, get an outrageous premium over what you paid for it, and use the proceeds to cancel your service and pay the ETF subsidy, and you're done. That's really the only way to do it at this point.

Good luck with your Nexus One.

3. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

Just sell the iPhone for $700 and enjoy your nexus one.

4. Acejam2k thread starter macrumors regular

I've thought about putting it up on Craigslist for $1,000. I'm sure someone will pay it. :D (perfect condition 32GB)

5. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

So Apple told you to try something to trouble shoot the phone, you did, it didn't work. Why not just go back and they will more then likely offer you a replacement.

6. Acejam2k thread starter macrumors regular

I think it's safe to say the iPhone 4 definitely has an antenna issue. Unless they actually revise the current production model - any replacement is going to have the same issue. This is clear to me from all the threads on this forum.

7. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Actually a lot of people including myself have seen improved reception over previous models. As long as you avoid bridging the gap on that on little spot or use any kind of case you are fine. If your not touching that spot then your problem is not related to the big antenna issue.

8. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Just wanted to add, you said it had been working fine for 30 days, if it was the antenna issue it would have had a problem all along. Sounds like something else went wrong.

9. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I haven't dropped a single call since June 23rd, the same can not be said about my previous 3GS.

You should replace your phone.

10. Acejam2k thread starter macrumors regular

I guess you do have a point. I am using a Case-Mate VRoom case, which I absolutely love.

Perhaps I'll swing by the Apple store on the way home and get a replacement. For what it's worth - I have a week 27 model now. Honestly it was fine for the first 40 days and then it acted up out of nowhere severely this weekend. :mad:

11. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Right. Shouldn't the one year warranty on all new Apple products cover the defects of this guy's phone?

12. Acejam2k thread starter macrumors regular

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to politely request a replacement? I don't want to tick off a Genius by just walking in and demanding one...

13. ski2moro macrumors 6502

I think you just need to replace your iP4 at the Apple Store. Just go in and tell the Genius that you restored and you still have issues. It should be no problem.

However, I have more information regarding your question. When I was at the Genius Bar replacing my defective iP4 during the 30 day window, I expressed concern that the promised software updates would not fix it. I told him that I was seriously considering returning it and going back to my iPhone 3G to wait for all the issues to be corrected. It seems a little prophetic now, as I have been so unlucky with so many issues on so many iP4 units.

To answer your question:
    The Genius said, "Although there is a 30 day return window, Apple makes exceptions, depending on the circumstances."

My disclaimers:
    1. My opinion is that your circumstances, dropping calls, will not warrant a return outside of the 30 days.
    2. I do not know how reliable this Genius is, I am just repeating what he said.

My opinion:
    1. I believe that Apple will work with a dissatisfied customer to make him or her a satisfied customer. Whether it is an iP4 or a MacPro, things happen. Apple has proven time and again that they will replace, repair, or refund on a case by case basis.
    2. I also believe that a positive attitude will do more for your case than anything. Frustrated - yes. Upset - yes. Anger and threats - not a chance.

Still, I don't think you are a candidate for a refund.

14. Acejam2k thread starter macrumors regular

In your opinion, what problems would someone need to have with an iPhone 4 to receive a refund? The phone isn't working as a phone :rolleyes:

15. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

I'm in the uk so maybe rules are different but I'm on my 3rd iPhone 4 really bad proximity sensor problems with them all. Phoned o2 today explained what's been happening. They were really nice about it and said I could return the phone to apple and they will cancel my contract. Also said I could start another one with another phone.
    I think they've had a few calls like this and are helping people out best they can.

I've had iPhone 4 since launch day.

16. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Just go in, explain you had problems after it working fine for that whole time and that you tried the fix that they told you and it didn't work. Be polite and simply ask for your phone to be replaced. Apple is very willing to work with it's customers when there is a legitimate concern.

If you get a replacement and still have problems after that then I would suggest going back to the Apple store and again, being polite, ask that you be allowed to return your phone do to the problems you have had.

17. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Ive just spoke to a cool guy from apple on the phone, he said they are well aware of the problems and if I am not happy I should go back to the store and ask for a full refund!!

18. aristobrat macrumors G4

I don't think you'll have to ask for a replacement. They asked you to try something (restore), and you did. Well, be sure you did. Their diagnostic software can tell if you did or not.

Anyhow, if you did, and it didn't fix the problem, about the only recourse they have is to swap you out.

No demanding required.

19. Acejam2k thread starter macrumors regular

Good to know! And yes, I truly did restore the phone. It also updated me to 4.0.2 in the process - and I set it up as a new phone in iTunes.

20. ski2moro macrumors 6502

You asked the question if there was ANY way to return. I answered your question.

Roll eyes all you want, but according to Apple, you are entitled to a replacement for a defective phone after your 30 days are up. Prior to that, you could have asked for a refund for no reason at all.

Listen Ace, you have been whining about this for weeks now in other MR posts. "My iPhone is in, should I pick it up?" "Should I keep it?" "I want a Nav App like on my old phone." "I have to decide by this weekend." Wah, wah, wah, whining like a little girl.

It's getting old. Move along, now.

21. Acejam2k thread starter macrumors regular

You're right. I am whining. I'm whining because Apple made a ******-ass product with a huge design flaw - seriously - how stupid do they think we are? Sure all phones have various levels of attenuation - but they don't drop the bars down all the way to "Searching for service". You shouldn't need a case to operate a cell phone properly - and my phone is having trouble acting like a phone.

Now that we have your whining out of the way: I questioned you because you clearly have some sort of criteria in your mind that makes one eligible for a return, and I'm curious to find out what that is.

22. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

just tell them you are having some series problems with the phone, I did and they swapped it no bother, in fact I'm going back again because this one is just the same, if the next one is just as bad its refund time im afraid

23. Acejam2k thread starter macrumors regular

Just an update to this thread:

Went to the Apple Store yesterday and informed them that I was working with a Genius the other day. I told them that I restored and set it up as a new phone - but still received the "call failed" messages. I politely asked for a replacement, and they swapped it out in just a few minutes.

The new replacement phone is a week 28 device. It still suffers from the death grip - however I am continuing to use my Case-Mate Vroom case. So far - I have not dropped any calls - so I hope that issues don't creep up again.

24. ski2moro macrumors 6502

Death Grip? Are you claiming that with 4.0.1 or 4.0.2, in a normal signal area, with no case, you can get your iPhone 4 to drop to NO SERVICE when you hold it wrong?

Video or it never happened.

25. Acejam2k thread starter macrumors regular

Uhhh yeah....and so can 1,000's of other people. It's very easy to reproduce.

I'm on 4.0.2. Even before it drops down to "No service" - while holding it in the death grip - you can't even load web pages. Try it yourself: hold your phone in the death grip, and try to load a page in Safari. I can almost guarantee you it won't load. :)

I might have time to make a video later - but I'm not going to promise anything. I can assure you though - I'm not spoon-feeding you anything. This is real.