Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xystence

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2010
I am having some issues with my iPhone 4S from battery length to double alert tones. A lot of people having similar issues believe the best thing to do is to clean install iOS which will obviously delete all my data.

I have tried installing it cleanly over and over, but I restore my data and my issues come back with it. Is it possible in anyway to clean install and somehow with iCloud or some other way save the progress on some of my games I do not want to lose so I can clean install, and then restore only my games progress? Thats the only thing I am concerned about.

Thank you for any advice!

Enjoylife1788

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
Technically if a game uses iCloud implementation then yes it's possible. But there are very few games doing that. One of them is infinity blade II. Since it syncs with iPhone and iPad, it uses iCloud.

Also, I guess if you are jailbroken, u can save the apps files by sshing it And them restore it. Haven't tried ever but should be possible.

HandySam

macrumors member
May 9, 2011
You can save your progress by using iExplorer. Your phone does not need to be jailbroken. It's an app that allows you to see all the files that are on your iPhone. Search in Google where exactly the savegame is saved on your iPhone.

You can copy those files to you computer and after a clean install you can put them back. I have used this method for my savegames and it works perfectly.

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
You can save your progress by using iExplorer. Your phone does not need to be jailbroken. It's an app that allows you to see all the files that are on your iPhone. Search in Google where exactly the savegame is saved on your iPhone.

You can copy those files to you computer and after a clean install you can put them back. I have used this method for my savegames and it works perfectly.
I sometimes get annoying message in iexplorer about too many connections and this can be literally just after connecting the device. iFunbox works a dream, does same as iExplorer and can work with non-jailbroken devices aswell

Xystence

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2010
I sometimes get annoying message in iexplorer about too many connections and this can be literally just after connecting the device. iFunbox works a dream, does same as iExplorer and can work with non-jailbroken devices aswell

Thank you both for the replies, I am going to look into both of these options!

Much appreciated

The LPT

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2010
if you jailbreak your phone, "DataDeposit" is awesome. It copies your saved app data files to your dropbox account and retrieves them when you want.

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
Hopefully with icloud, this will be an issue of the past. For now iExplorer is a good alternative, although you have to do some digging to get your files, and you better have a backup to get them from. This sounds like it should be something more intuitive that itunes should handle.

chris7777

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2008
I am having a similar issue. I keep having IOs Crash, and My most recent restores wiped my game saves because of the moronic way Itunes has been set up with the new restore "abilities"

I thought I had located & restored my save files, & then IOS Glitched and switched most of its data to "other" and when I tried resynching it said their wasn't enough room to restore because of the "other" junk file.

I restored again, and no game data.

Im ready to do a clean restore with my favorite apps , AFTER I locate a backup that actually has them ,and back it up. I am jailbroken. So I may try using one of the cydia apps for this, But advice is greatly appreciated.

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2011

Technically you cannot see all the files on your phone, if you are not jailbroken. You can only see the folders and directories in which Apple has not set permissions to root-only. And though I've never backed up save files from an iOS game, I'm pretty sure Apple would not leave game save files open for anyone to get to. Jailbreaking the device allows access to the root of the device, and therefore all of the files and directories are open for exploration.

Basically, I'm thinking you need to jailbreak to gain access to that stuff... Just my two cents. If someone has more knowledge on this game-save subject hopefully they'll chime in.

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
Technically you cannot see all the files on your phone, if you are not jailbroken. You can only see the folders and directories in which Apple has not set permissions to root-only. And though I've never backed up save files from an iOS game, I'm pretty sure Apple would not leave game save files open for anyone to get to. Jailbreaking the device allows access to the root of the device, and therefore all of the files and directories are open for exploration.

Basically, I'm thinking you need to jailbreak to gain access to that stuff... Just my two cents. If someone has more knowledge on this game-save subject hopefully they'll chime in.

I think you be surprised as to what you can see in IExplorer. Have you tried it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.