Anyway to set threshold for battery recharging?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by whohasaquestion, Nov 11, 2011.

1. whohasaquestion macrumors 6502

It comes default at 95% before it recharges, is there a way we can set the threshold lower? I move around the house a lot, just don't want to use up too much battery cycle for meaningless recharge.

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I doubt it.
    Doesn't really help all that much anyway. Eventually you will recharge and 2 times 5 % or 1 time 10% both only makes 1/10th of a cycle.

3. Chasel macrumors newbie

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it doesn't come at a default of 95%. You also don't have to plug it in each time you move it. You can leave it unplugged for several hours at a time. Also read the CHARGING and WHAT IS A CYCLE? sections in the following link. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

5. whohasaquestion thread starter macrumors 6502

so say I recharge 5% every 3 days, that would be half of a cycle a month.

Is it the same as letting it run low to 50% and recharge at once?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can't let it recharge only 5%. Read the CHARGING section of the Battery FAQ I posted to understand why it may not recharge at all between 93% and 99%. Having clarified that, if you drain it 10% until it's 90% charged, then recharge it, and you do that 10 times, it's the same as draining it halfway and recharging it twice or draining it all the way and recharging it once. The Battery FAQ is very clear on what constitutes a cycle.

7. whohasaquestion thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I think I got the concept now. :)

I have a tendency to close the lid after usage, so the MBA goes to sleep mode a few times a day. Even when it's attached to the AC adapter, it still loses some power during sleep. I was thinking the AC adapter will keep it fully charged, closed lid or not.