Anyway to sleep the display through Apple remote?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by themachatter, Nov 13, 2007.

1. themachatter macrumors newbie

I've googled for this with no luck, also I checked out Remote Buddy but for some reason they don't have an option to put your display to sleep, only the mac itself. I tried using 'set display to screen saver' with a blacked out screen saver but when I tried waking it the next morning my macbook was extremely sluggish and I needed to reboot it.

The reason I'm asking for this is because I like to use front row and watch movies before I go to bed and it would be nice to just be able to sleep the display only so I can keep whatever tasks I have going on in the background through the night.

edit: this is for Leopard OS X

2. elhutcho macrumors newbie

Just hold play/pause for a few seconds and you're good to go. Tiger used to show a screen overlay representing that the mac is about to sleep, but this appears to be lacking in Leopard, at least for me.

Oops. Didn't read carefully. You can only sleep the mac. No screen-only, as far as I know. Sorry.

3. themachatter thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough, but I'd like to sleep the display only not the actual macbook.

4. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

don't know of any way to do that with the remote's settings, but there are some apple remote customization software like mira that might be able to do this with a little customization. not sure though make sure you try it before you buy it

and the screen overlay for sleeping is still there in leopard for me

5. needlnerdz macrumors regular

needlnerdz

It may not be truly putting the display to sleep, but I always press the brightness key down until its a near total black. This can easily be done using Remote Buddy.. the software also lets you build special behaviors for any program.. thus I would imagine you could use either an applescript or the direct control panel as a behavior to activate the display sleep. goodluck