Anyway to STOP Youtube links from opening in the app?

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by Gonky, May 24, 2017.

1. Gonky macrumors regular

Gonky

I use the YouTube app for a few things but would rather videos clicked in links etc opened in Safari, there used to be a way to get this to work by clicking 'cancel' on the 'open in Youtube' prompt but it seems that prompt no longer exists. Does anybody know of a way to get this to work?

2. cswifx Suspended

cswifx

I'm not sure what app you're getting the direct app opening, but you may want to try 3D touching on 'm.youtube.com/...' links and selecting Open in Safari.

3. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

What I do is to delete the youtube app and use Protube. Then if you want to view a youtube video in the app, use Opener in Safari to open the youtube video link in Protube.

4. KALLT macrumors 601

Normally iOS should remember your preference when you leave the app by clicking on the button in the top-right to switch to Safari. Is this button not there?

5. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I have the opposite problem on my phone; I ALWAYS want YouTube videos to open in the app, but whether they do or not seems random, and they usually don't.

It's more consistent on my iPad; most YouTube links there open in the app. But there is still the occasional link that won't.

There needs to be a setting somewhere we can flip so both of us can be happy with how YouTube links are handled.

6. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

Press and hold on the YouTube link and choose an option. Whichever you choose Safari will remember as default when tapping on a link.