Anyway to stream video collection from Mac to PS3?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Greenhoe, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Greenhoe macrumors regular

Hi,
    I've been thinking about buying a a PS3 Slim once it launches, although don't care to buy it enough for the games. I have a 500 GB movie collection of all file formats such as .mkv .mov .avi and I currently use XBMC on my iMac and my 40in HDTV connected to it as a dual monitor to watch all my movies.

I was wondering if there is anyway of streaming movies off my network to through my PS3 to my HDTV so I can stop using one of my iMac's just as a media center.

Also if i was to store movies on the PS3 Harddrive how nice is the PS3 interface which allows me to choose my movies if you can even watch movies off the stored PS3 drive and which formats must they be in?

I would only play a few games like MGS4 and FF13 so I couldn't justify buying a PS3 if I can't use it to stream my movies from.

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Yes, you need a piece of software called Medialink by Nullriver. It is pretty cheap but it does exactly what you are asking.

You can upgrade the hard drive in PS3 very easily and it accepts standard 2.5" laptop hard drives. I put a 250GB drive in mine.

3. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

If you're looking for Medialink alternatives, probably a wider format support, try this out, absolutely free and it works for me flawlessly,

http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/

4. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

I use Rivet to stream music, movies and pictures to my Xbox 360. It works with the PS3 as well. You should try both this, PS3 Media Server and Medialink, and decide which one works best for you.

5. atomicparker macrumors member

atomicparker

Do these solutions work for the newest 3.0 PS3 firmware? Medialink, PS3 server etc? Seems like whenever Sony releases a new firmware there are glitches with this stuff...