Anyway to transfer photos from a camera to an iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Still100, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Still100 macrumors regular

The camera is non-wifi and the apple card reader is forced to not work on the iPhone 5 but works with an iPad 4. Any other ideas?

Why apple have locked down the iPhone 5 from working with the sd card reader is beyond me. I expect they want me to buy an iPad. I have to say I am really sick of 7 years of apple lockdown. I will be buying android in future!! Absolutely sick of it!!

2. zone23 macrumors 68000

I generally download them to the PC or MAC then drop them into photo stream. I do have iPhoto so that helps.

3. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Is it possible to connect that card reader to the iPad and have photo stream enabled on both the iPad and iPhone?

4. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

I use an eye-fi card to do this. It has wifi in the sdcard.

Transcend also do a wifi sdcard but it doesn't get as good reviews

With eye-fi you can either send all new photos to iphone/ipad, each shot as taken or just selected photos by flagging them on the camera. I use it with my non-wifi Sony rx100

5. Still100 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry I should say, I won't have a computer with me or an iPad. Just camera and iPhone 5. To Upload to cloud.

I'll have look at eye-fi!

6. Still100 thread starter macrumors regular

Do you find there any issues? Does it manage hd video too?

Does the eye-fi have a web address 192.168... to connect to the sd card? The transcend has this, good way for other peoples mobile phones to pickup your photos?

7. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

I don't think the pro x2 card I have supports transferring video but I might be wrong (never tried) best to check their website.

Edit: look here http://www.eye.fi/products

Doesn't look like it will do video to iPhones, probably because the iphone won't play the video formats most dslrs produce (avchd)

The eye-fi can either be set to connect to your home wifi AFTER you have said these networks are ok . Or, the way I use it is in wifi direct mode where your phone/ipad connects directly to the eye-fi card.

Other devices won't be allowed to connect to the wifi on the card without the security certificate that gets installed to your phone/pc/ipad.

It doesn't have a web server, you use the eye-fi app on your devices.

I've been tempted by the transcend as it's faster but amazon reviews are bad.

One thing to remember, when not using the wifi, on your camera turn the upload feature off to save battery else it will drain way quicker. Just turn on when transferring.