Anyway to transpose mac application to external drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tsang2320, Jan 13, 2014.

1. tsang2320 macrumors demi-god

Due to a shortage of space, I would like to move some applications which are used less frequently away, though not deleting it. Could I copy the file and drop it to external disk?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

If the application is an -Apple- app, moving it to another location (other than the default location in the "Applications" folder) may result in problems both in running the app, and updating it.

If the application is a "3rd party) (i.e., non-Apple) app, you can probably move it wherever you wish. Again, you might have problems when you attempt to update it.

The best way to find out, is to try it.
    I'd suggest going "slow and easy" -- move an app at a time, see if it runs, move the next one, etc.

3. tsang2320 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Thank you for replying. So in this case, would you recommend reinstalling osx on the external drive to migrate at the risk of malfunction or non-responding?

4. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

A possible option might be using Carbon Copy Cloner with an external drive. This will give you an exact copy of your internal drive and possibly allow you to remove the apps you are not using on a regular basis from your internal drive. You could then boot from the external drive with CCC and run the apps from it.

But as Fishrrman stated, be careful and slow about doing it so as to not mess anything up. Have never tried it myself. Maybe someone on the boards has and can add further info to assist to with it.