Anyway to use itunes on a mac and something else on a PC?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sillyrabbitt, Apr 4, 2011.

1. sillyrabbitt macrumors 6502

i did a search and cannot quite figure out the program to try or if its even possible?

I am sycing my ipad2 with my mac and that works well. what i need and want to do is be able to plug my ipad2 into my PC and not use itunes. if i just want to drop and drag movies, music or documents over to the ipad from the pc? is this possible? or do i MUST have itunes installed on the pc to transfer anything over?

i guess the real question is it a problem to have itunes, ipad2 and my mac as the main sync vehicle. Then is there a way to sync say goodreader or buzz player on a total and separate computer that doesnt even have itunes on it? or again i must have itunes on the pc too?

thanks!!!

2. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Not possible that I am aware of. Why not try dropbox? Sync files between any computer and your mac, then sync from the mac.

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I think you have just described Steve Jobs' worst nightmare… a computer without iTunes installed.

In short, no there is no easy way to do this.

4. sillyrabbitt thread starter macrumors 6502

i guess that is an option but i would rather just be able to plug the ipad into the computer instead of sending the info to the net and then back to the device.

can i use two different computers with one ipad? or that wont work either?

thanks

dont want to mess the guy up just trying to figure an easy way to get my info on the ipad quickly and easliy one file at a time.

5. melman101 macrumors 68030

From what I know, if you sync music, movies, and photos from one computer and then try to sync that same content over, it will erase whatever you have on the device.

However, the info tab (contacts, notes) can be sync'd to multiple computers.

6. sillyrabbitt thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks but i wonder if i can install itunes to my pc and have it set not to sync anything then just transfer files to and from goodreader within itunes? Will that work?

thanks

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Back up your iPad and try it yourself. There may not be anyone who has tried that particular usage case.

8. sillyrabbitt thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok I backed it up and all went well.

here is what I did:

I did install itunes on the pc and the first thing I did was go into
    edit-----preferences-----devices set itunes on the pc to prevent sync automatically. I also set the ipad through itunes to manually sync.

and i am able to send files from either pc or mac.

i also tried goodreaderusb.exe and that works as well allowing me to send files to the goodreader app from either mac or pc.