Anyway to use the mBP 13" as a monitor, KB, Trackpad for the nMP?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by richard371, Feb 13, 2014.

1. richard371, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014

richard371 macrumors 68000

No I am not crazy. Well maybe just a little. I ordered the nMP 6 core a month ago for running a bunch of VMs etc and it will suit my needs. I have been using the MBP late 2013 retina for several months now and love the retina display. I had the 27" iMac before.

I was considering the 27" thunderbolt display when it (nMP) arrives in the next month or so. Today I went to the apple store just to play around with the nMP and man after using the retina screen the 27" thunderbolt just looks like crap. I know it has not changed from before but the text looks like pixelated garbage after using everything retina for so long now (rMB, iPad, iPhone.) Unfortunately I don't want to spend more then 1K on a display. I know Dell has a 4K but isn't it 30HZ or something?

Idealy I would like to wait until Apple comes out with a better 27" display at least 4K 60hz. I have an extra trackpad and can pick up the BT keyboard if need be.

FYI part of the problem is I was unemployed for the last several months and have not touched any non retina screens. I start a new IT job next week and I'm sure it will be the typical 19" Dell PC monitors so maybe I will get used to seeing non-retina again and the 27" thunderbolt won't look so bad :)

UPDATE:looks like only the iMac27 can be used as a second display. Im sure there are some network options but at his point it looks like I'm stuck with having to purchase an outdated 27" thick thunderbolt :(

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

3. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

The easiest way to achieve this is to remote desktop into the Mac Pro. But, you'll have to live with input lag.

4. richard371 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks. I'll just wait to see what monitor for 1k is available when men ships.