AOC I1659FWUX USB monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by h9826790, May 14, 2017.

1. h9826790 macrumors G3

h9826790

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11369/aoc-i1659fwux-portable-usb-monitor-released

Is this kind of monitor work WITHOUT graphic card? If yes, is that mean we can just plug in this display into the cMP, and use it to install the Nvidia web driver? So, no need to flash, no need to leave the GT 120 at there, no need to swap card, and not necessary to use remote control?

I know this is not the cheapest solution. However, just want to discuss if this can be a handy solution.

TBH, if I have to pay for a GT120 or play for flashing (just for the purpose to make it easier to install web driver after OS update). I will prefer to pay for this monitor, at least I have an extra monitor, it can be useful on other matters. And I don't need to "re-flash" again if I upgrade to another card.
    --- Post Merged, May 14, 2017 ---
    Just check their product page, it DOES support MacOS indeed.

http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/macos

2. theluggage macrumors 68040

Its a "DisplayLink" device - same technology as a USB "graphics adaptor".

I believe that this type of adaptor still needs a working graphics card in the machine: it takes the output from the video card, compresses it small enough to send via USB then uncompresses it at the other end. Similar principle to Airplay Mirroring. So it's not really a self-contained graphics card that you plug into USB instead of PCIe.

3. h9826790 thread starter macrumors G3

h9826790

I sent an email to them and got a reply. They said it should work but not officially supported (because may have issues). So, recommend to use it with the GPU installed.

If it can work, no matter is inccorect resolution, or unaccelerated screen, which is already good enough to install the Nvidia web driver.