AOE 3 on macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by coreyweb, Jun 10, 2007.

1. coreyweb macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I just ordered a Macbook....and with it I got Age of Empires 3....

The question is...Age Of Empires can run on it right?? Of course it won't be as good as a MBP...(oh if only I had the money, etc.) but...like for instance....would it end up looking really crappy graphics wise? Cause some of the screenshots I've seen of the game are incredible...it sure would be sweet to have it look like that.

I'm not really a gamer.....the only games I'd play are Command and Conquer: Generals, and Age of Empires 3 on my macbook.

Also would these games run better if I played them for Windows under bootcamp? I've heard the integrated graphics are better when under windows?

I wish every computer could run ANY game.....haha that sure would be pleasant.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

The Intel integrated graphics on the Macbooks just barely squeezes by the AoE3 minimum system requirements. I've never tried it, but my guess is that you're gonna have some plenty lame graphics performance with most games that you try to play on the Macbook. Its just not built to handle gaming. Of course, you're fine in most other areas; processor is plenty powerful, plenty of RAM unless you're trying to run a few instances of Firefox in the background while you play, etc etc...but that integrated GPU really bites you on the rear on this one.

As Eidorian also said, I have a strong feeling you're going to be playing "Assorted Scenes from Age of Empires III" rather than the actual game, if you get what I'm saying.

:apple:

4. coreyweb thread starter macrumors newbie

Darn....thats rather depressing....it looks like such a great game. I guess I'll have to get an imac someday when I'm not in debt from college.

what about Windows? Would it run a lot better if I was to play it in windows with bootcamp?

Oh humanity....I was so excited about that game!! (So should I return the game then??)

5. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

I'd say, if anything, that it would run worse in Windows...but maybe not.

In any case your problem is hardware, not software. Switching to Windows wouldn't give you any meaningful advantage since its still using the same Intel integrated graphics.

:apple:

6. marine610610 macrumors regular

There are guys on GR (Gameranger) that play AOE3 with macbooks all the time. I use a MBP myself, so i cannot comment from personal experience. I can tell you that they seem to play just fine man. Turn down the graphics, and when you see me one GR (Marine610) let me know and well get a game going.

7. Stadsport macrumors regular

If you can link me to a demo for AoE I'll be glad to try it out. I'm assuming you're talking about the Windows version, but if there's a Mac version that's fine too.

8. dirtworm2001 macrumors newbie

hey dude i run it on my macbook, 2 ghz, 2 gb ram and it runs fine, far better then i had on my windows computer :)

9. aethelbert macrumors 601

Yeah, it runs just fine. Better than it ever did on my PC with a dedicated graphics card (6600 @ 128mb). Don't worry, it's not a slideshow! The GMA 950 isn't really all that bad as people on this forum make it out to be, but the cards in the Macbook Pro are better. Just because something is better, it doesn't make every product with lower specs "bad," it just means that it's not as good. You get what you pay for, and it will work just fine. You'd want to turn your settings down when playing online, too, because ESO is really slow as it is.

Also, stay on the lookout for the Warchiefs expansion. It's to come out sometime soon from Macsoft.

10. coreyweb thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the help. Its really nice to know that some of you have played it on a macbook.

So do the graphics rock on the game? Cause everything I've seen (screenshots, etc.) looks incredible. I guess I'm a sucker for eye candy in games.

Thanks again guys!

11. coreyweb thread starter macrumors newbie

There actually was also one other game I've had in my sights....

Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth II.....I wonder if that will run on a macbook? Anybody know?

12. aethelbert macrumors 601

You're not going to be able to turn the settings up that high. The screenshots always show it being played on the best video card available. If you are going to play online, you wouldn't want that, either, because it would just make the server lag out. The graphics aren't bad, but don't be expecting what you've seen in the screenshots. You should be able to run it at about medium settings.

13. coreyweb thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya, I figured the screenshots were probably rather inaccurate...or enhanced.

But medium settings you say?? Thats pretty good...I was afraid from what I heard I'd have to run them on like....the lowest possible.

(also...to clearify what I was saying about it running better in windows...I heard somewhere that windows allowed more system ram to be given to the integrated graphics istead of the 64mb or whatever.)

Any word on Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth II?

14. Jman888 macrumors regular

Have Somebody Download a C&C Demo. I saw one On EA Link. And prob on Download.com

15. aethelbert macrumors 601

Well, since you already bought it for Mac OS, just use that. It runs just fine. If you're going to play online, set the graphics pretty low, because even with the best systems in the world, ESO (online service for AOE3) is terribly slow.

16. Leopon macrumors newbie

lotr battle

do you think that lotr battle for the middle earth i or ii will run on a macbook with 64MB video in bootcamp with windows xp service pack 2?