AOL and IE updates for OS 9

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jehrmann, Oct 22, 2008.

1. jehrmann macrumors newbie

Hello all,

New to the forums here, and I'm a PC/linux user - I work in IT, but have some experience working on Macs. I'm working on a friend's Powerbook that has OS 9 on it. This friend is not computer savvy in any way, shape or form.

His problem is that a lot of websites he likes to use do not display properly on Safari, IE for mac, and even AOL for mac. From my research, it seems that the versions of these browsers on this system do not support the CSS and XHTML (I'm assuming) coding in these websites. Sites like Ebay, AOL.com, and even Apple's site do not display properly. I'm having trouble locating an updated version of one of these browsers that work on OS 9 and display modern web technology properly.

Are there updated browser versions for OS 9 for either IE or Safari? I think I am out of luck with AOL's software unless I upgrade the OS (he happens to like AOL). Or would I be better off trying to upgrade his OS to a later version? - something I'd rather not do as I've never upgraded a Mac.

I appreciate any help anyone can offer. I searched on the forum but didn't come up with anything.

Thanks!!!

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

3. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

You say he's running OS 9, but then say sites don't work properly in Safari.. Safari was never released for OS 9. So I think we need to confirm the set up first.
    However, broadly speaking, Any Apple OS prior to 10.3 has not so good browser support. So consider upgrading OS, if the Mac is up to it.

4. ~Wibble~ macrumors member

IE hasnt been updated since 2002, even on system 10
    sorry, your a bit stuck :p

~Wibble~

5. jehrmann thread starter macrumors newbie

Good point, actually the version is 10.2.8, not OS 9, sorry about that. I found where to look for the version #.

I had AOL.com tell me I was running OS 9... I assumed it was correct - should've known better than to trust AOL.

But this is still under the 10.3 requirement. Is an upgrade still necessary or should I be able to upgrade just the browsers and be done with it?

6. jehrmann thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. I did see iCab mentioned on MacWorld - I'd rather not throw a new browser on there for him though.

7. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

The newest version 10.2 will run is 1.0.3 which is out of date.
    10.3 will run 1.3.2 which will still have a hard time on newer websites, but Firefox 2 will run on 10.3 iirc.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You can always look at www.versiontracker.com

look at something like firefox, see it needs 10.4 and above for 3.x so click on an older version and see that the newest supported on 10.2 is 2.0.0.14

or just click on jaguar (10.2) on the bar, and put browser into the search and see what is around. http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/jaguar/

Of course Netscape X 9.0.0.6 is likely about the latest Mozilla release branches for Jaguar.

9. jehrmann thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you to everyone who offered their help to me with this. It looks like an upgrade is necessary.

I've been reading a few topics and just want to be sure I have it right - it looks like I can purchase Panther or Tiger and upgrade the system (PowerBook G4), but I can not jump to Leopard, is that right?