AOL for MAC OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by saladiro, Dec 31, 2007.

1. saladiro macrumors 6502a

saladiro

hi, i have a mac book pro with leopard installed. I downloaded the above, and every time i go into AOL -----> preferences----->and move the mouse over general preferences, it crashes every time. I have reinstalled and tried several times but no luck

2. FocusAndEarnIt macrumors 601

FocusAndEarnIt

3. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

4. FocusAndEarnIt macrumors 601

FocusAndEarnIt

5. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Urgh, they haven't developed that horrible browser of theirs for OS X as well have they? It was horrible on Windows, and it hasn't moved from version 9 in years.

6. saladiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

saladiro

tks.....my wife is addicted to it..dont know why

7. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I've got the beta for AOL and OSX also. (It's Nostalgia for me) It really seems to be buggy at best. Also the aol address book and other items to do not transfer with your screen name. They better fix it if they expect people to use it, IMHO.

8. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

9. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I recently helped an AOL family switch to Mac. They are AOL DSL customers. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the setting were all saved to the modem itself. All I had to do was plug the computer into the modem with a LAN cable, and it was done. No software installation necessary.

10. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

You don't have to use their software for email of course. Our email address works fine with the mail application using POP3.

Also a lot of AOL people use the software not as an onramp to the interent. (I've not used them for access since about 1996). I do believe that its more the content (believe it or not) that people use the desktop stuff for. This includes things like access to some XM radio channels without actually belonging to XM, the many chat rooms, a fairly in depth library of information dating from the 90s, personal information management, storage and lots of other "community" features. Its actually a pretty long list of things that people could be attached to.

To further confuse things, many of these services are now available from aol.com through the browser as they have moved away from a subscription model to an add driven model. Still not all of these things are and there is no clear information at their site on what version of what you may want for your use.

The marketing staff of AOL that remains probably needs to spend less time sending out resumes and more time looking at Yahoo, Google, Apple and others on how to simplify their customer message and explain what it is that their offerings provide. Watching companies in a downward spiral is rather morbidly fascinating but frustrating too.

The Mac "beta" they put out is another example of the strangeness in my opinion.