AOL help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by glittermom, Jun 10, 2007.

1. glittermom macrumors newbie

Hi, got a Mac last week. AOl worked fine on it up until today..now it won't get past the "initializing" stage..anyone out there who can help/offer advice?? I am really trying to get the hang of this computer,but today I just want my AOl to work.
    Thanks!!

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

What kind of Mac do you have? Also, I would try calling AOL if you cannot find a solution here on MR. I had AOL a long time ago (on a PC too), so I don't really know what to say. What kind of internet do you get from them? Dial up, I assume?

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

AOL for Mac is riddled with problems.

You're using AOL for dialup internet access, right? I would just use AOL Connect, which will connect you to the internet, and then use Safari for browsing (where you can also check your email), and iChat for AIM.

4. JSmoove05 macrumors 6502

I just got a new MBP and I installed AOL and it was giving me problems also randomly freezing aol it hasnt done it that much but still I found it strange.

5. glittermom thread starter macrumors newbie

what kind of mac do I have?

24 inch monitor, ox something. We have internet access thru our cable company, sadly (or so my husband tells me it is sad) I just LIKE AOL and I like it better opened from the computer rather than accessed from the internet..

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Trust me, that feeling won't remain after using AOL for OS X for a few weeks. :p

It's terrible. Absolutely terrible.

Once you get away from the AOL application, and start using Safari and Mail and iChat, everything starts to make a lot of sense, and you won't even miss AOL.

(Keep in mind, you can keep your same Email address and AIM address and most of the features of AOL without actually using the AOL program.)

I know it isn't exactly an easy transition to make, but it's much better in the long run. ...Even AOL is slowly moving away from their current application, and switching to a more browser-based experience like Google or Yahoo.

Keep in mind, I've been an AOL customer for the past 10 years. ;)

7. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

It's an iMac. :)