AOL Instant Messenger Officially Discontinuing This December After Twenty Years Online

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 6, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Twenty years after launching as a download for Microsoft Windows computers in 1997, AOL Instant Messenger will be officially discontinued from December 15, 2017. AOL parent company Oath announced the end of AIM in a blog post earlier this morning, celebrating with a nostalgic recollection of how big the messaging platform was in the late 1990s and early 2000s.

[​IMG]

According to Michael Albers, VP of Communications Product at Oath, the reason behind the discontinuation is how "profoundly" the ways we communicate have changed over the years, leading many to abandon AIM for mobile apps like Apple's iMessage, Facebook's WhatsApp, and more.
    There are still plans to "continue building the next generation of iconic brands and life-changing products," Albers said, similar to what AIM did for instantaneously messaging friends in the early days of the internet. No further specifics were given as to what the company might launch next.

Last month, AIM was also removed as a chat option from Apple's Messages app in macOS High Sierra, providing another hint that many users no longer logged into the service. Over the years, there have also been AIM apps for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.

Article Link: AOL Instant Messenger Officially Discontinuing This December After Twenty Years Online

2. AceFernalld, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

RIP to the best part of Middle School.

Edit: Let me rephrase that, literally the only mildly enjoyable part of Middle School.

3. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

4. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

5. lolkthxbai macrumors 65816

lolkthxbai

now AOL will get a small up-tick in logins after this announcement

6. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

+1 to that

I remember when my brother and I would fight over who would get to go on the computer first so that we could use AOL IM. And away messages.... Those were the days.

7. rizzo41999 macrumors 6502

rizzo41999

8. Soba, Oct 6, 2017

Soba macrumors member

Soba

Rest in peace, Running Man!

Until recently, I actually still used it from time to time, through Adium.

9. tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

Your kidding me! I use this every... agh.. wait.. they were still around? See ya later fellas!

10. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Wow, makes me feel very old. AIM was a huge part of high school social life for my generation.

11. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

Make no mistake: AOL was a pioneer in both email and texting. We laugh now, but back then, it changed the world in a way that almost certainly left Steve Jobs impressed.

12. adamjackson, Oct 6, 2017

adamjackson macrumors 65816

After I got tired of constantly updating my AIM status to let friends know what I was doing (very old-school Twitter TBH), I had a plugin on my Mac that would update my status with the current iTunes Song. A lot of my friends used it too and it was a great way to find new music.

When iChatAV Came out, You can start a random chat so I started a chat called "Jaguar" for the OS. People would cycle in and out and eventually, there were 20 of us in the Jaguar chat. I met a few of them in real life over the years at Macworld. We moved to Panther when that came out and eventually it fizzled out but a lot of my social time in high school was spent in the AIM chat with other Mac users just talking about random stuff. I recently emailed one of my buddies from there and am visiting him in Toronto in a few months.

AIM kept me in touch with friends and family but I also met new people and established friendships with them. It was a wonderful service and served a unique purpose.

Edit: Here's a screen shot

[​IMG]

13. Mic'sBook macrumors regular

As a native Hong Konger, the first instant messaging desktop app I used was ICQ, and then MSN Messenger (Windows Live Messenger), and then nothing because all have been using WhatsApp since the adoption of smartphone after the birth of iPhone. (WeChat, in other words, are mainly used by 'newly immigrated Hong Kong people' from mainland China)

AOL's target customers are US customers, so I'm not really familiar with AOL itself, but I do know it was the main ISP back in the 90's (I love watching Computer Chronicles on YouTube by Stewart Cheifet btw ;), and I know there was something like Apple eWorld as well)

But one thing from AOL really caught my attention, which is the signature sound bite: 'You've got mail!'

Though that may not have anything to do with the AOL AIM, anyway

14. djeeyore25 macrumors 6502

djeeyore25

I guess I'll have to go out and make actual real life friends from now on.

15. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

That's kind of sad, but I haven't used it for years and I used to use it for hours at a time almost every day, so that tells the story of why it's going I guess.

Thanks for the memories, AIM.

16. Mizouse macrumors regular

Hmm still have the app on my phone even thou I haven't logged on in a year or two or three.

17. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

So many hours spent on AIM until about 2008. I wonder what I'll use AdiumX for now.

18. brian3uk macrumors regular

Aw man, I wish AIM had stored all my old away messages. I'd love to see just how insufferable I was in high school/undergrad.

19. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

ah man good times! used that a ton in middle school and very early high school. would chat with my now wife though AIM since her parents made her get off the phone early on a school night. (yes kids, we talked on the phone. not just texted). looking back at those screen names is hilarious.

20. macpeach55 macrumors 6502

macpeach55

like several people wrote above, this was my IM programme for a long time, but I haven't actually used it for a long time. Lots of good memories though

21. Hater macrumors 6502

Hater

Ah, mess.be and MSN Messenger.

It was a totally cool feature to have the "Now Playing" broadcast to your friends...

Until you forgot that you had MSN on auto-open behind Windows Media Player as you launched "Buxxxom Housewives 4" that had downloaded while you were at school without your parents noticing...

22. avanpelt macrumors 68030

It's amazing how things have evolved and the degree to which technology has completely changed the way we communicate electronically over the past two decades. When AIM launched, you had to be sitting in front of a computer that was most likely dialed into your ISP in order to use it. Now, we all carry computers in our pockets that are online 24/7. We're so accustomed to the "always on" connectedness with smartphones and tablets now that the thought of having to go sit in one place in our homes or businesses in order to connect to the internet is very archaic.

23. squirrellydw macrumors regular

squirrellydw

I remember when MS Messenger could use AIM and the battle between them to block it. I used the hack/plugin DeadAim to block ads and add a few other features to AIM on the PC

24. simonmet macrumors 68000

simonmet

To this day I believe my iCloud login works with AIM in Messages. Apple used the AIM protocol for screen-sharing as well. It worked perfectly and Apple never replaced it with anything else quite as easy.

I don’t do Facebook (and never will) so I’m not sure what else is replacing this and the already defunct MSN.

Adium also had the “Now playing in iTunes” feature.

25. JosephAW macrumors 68000

JosephAW

Someday we'll read about the parent company of Apple discontinuing iMessage thanks to the bad management from the former CEO of Apple, Mr. Cook.