AOL Instant messenger on my Mac where did it come from.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Golem, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Golem macrumors 6502

I restart my machine today and straight after the password request from assistantD I get a password request from AOL with my apple id filled in. I filled in the same password and said OK before I thought hang on.

I have never seen that request before, I have not ever used aol or installed that app.Certainly not since the the last time I restarted.

Their is no app called aol, their is a app called messages from apple that has a preference for AOL. I don't have any login items under my user that should have auto started, I don't have any processes running that seem to have any obvious link to aol or messages.

Did I just let some malware sneak by me and give it access to all my passwords? or it just some innocent app that has been sitting through machine upgrades for a decade or more and suddenly decided it needed a password.

But even then how did it run on startup if its not in my startup items?

I tried restarting again to find out exactly what executable was running but it did not re-appear.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

What's assisstantD? Why do you think it's AOL related? It's not malware, or well I'm 99.99999% sure it's not. Executables are Windows programs.

3. Golem thread starter macrumors 6502

Executables are Code that runs, mac or windows.

AssistantD asks for my keychain password on startup, it has for many years. Probably because my keychain password is different from my macs password.

It said AOL Instant Messenger, then a box with my apple ID, then a box asking for a password, I gave it my keychain password. It did not say it was correct or incorrect just vanished.

4. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

It's possible AOL installer could have been in your Mac for a while? Maybe something you did led to the activation (initial log-in prompt) process.

It's also a possibility that you recently installed something like Java Installer (Updater), Yahoo Toolbar, Google Toolbar, Something-something Toolbar, which ALSO sneaked in a copy of AOL into your machine. They tend to do that, you know? Those sneaky bastards.

See image below....

[​IMG]

5. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Do you use the older .Mac/Mobile Me chat (which still works under iCloud)?

As Apple doesn't run their own servers for that, they use AOL's.

Check what accounts you have in Messages and whether Messages is set to "Show status in menu bar".

6. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

Mine is doing this too right after the OS X Mavericks update and a Java update, every time I restart. How the heck can I get rid of this?

7. Brucio, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013

Brucio macrumors newbie

Ditto for me. Won't go away, asks for my iCloud password, but doesn't accept it. :mad:

EDIT: OK, so not that complicated after all- go to System Preferences > Internet Accounts and delete the AIM account for Messages.

8. cjcarton macrumors newbie

Thank you Brucio. This Maverick-installed nuisance was driving me crazy. As usual, the simple solutions are the best.