Aol mail issue

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tallercuz, Feb 9, 2011.

1. tallercuz macrumors newbie

Anybody no how i can set my aol mail up on my iphone so it doesnt erase it from the server when i download my mail???

Thanks

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Sounds like you are using POP. Is that correct?

3. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

If it's a POP account:
    Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>your AOL account>Advanced>Delete From Server. You will have three choices, Never, Seven Days, When removed from inbox.

4. tallercuz thread starter macrumors newbie

Its actually set up as an IMAP...can i set it up as a POP and how?

5. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

If it's an IMAP account, open the settings for that account, and look down at the bottom of the first page, and see if you have a selection for "archive messages". I have Gmail set up as IMAP and it has that setting.
    I believe that I have read that you can set it up as POP, but I don't know what the server settings are.

6. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I did a little searching, and I found this:
    Hotmail POP Account

7. jasvncnt macrumors 6502

My GF always has issues with AOL on her iphone. Could never get it to work right.

8. Carlanga, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2011

Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

AOL uses IMAP so it won't erase your emails from the server after you download them, if you read them on your iPhone then they will appear on your old mail folder when you check it on your computer. If you delete them on your iPhone then they will be deleted from the server.

Found this for POP in AOL: http://email.about.com/od/accessingaolmail/f/AOL_Mail_POP3_Settings.htm