AOL Mail No Longer "Pushing"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by solo118, Feb 13, 2014.

1. solo118 macrumors 65816

May 16, 2011
    These past couple of weeks, it has been annoying to say the least. Before you make fun that I use AOL mail, I have 2 old AOL email addresses which I have had for many years and due to the numerous bill notifications, and emails from friends/family that I receive I choose not to forward emails as it could go wrong at any moment.

Anyways, just a few weeks back, my AOL mail was pushing instantly, no issues at all. The mail setting still shows "push" but it is simply no longer working! When I go in to manually check for email it says last update XXX which is hours earlier. Then it just wont update after I scroll down for an update. I need to kill the mail app then manually check and it will show my new emails. Overnight I see just a couple of notifications, then when I open the mail app it will list several new emails (even though they were sent hours ago)

This does not happen every time, I do get some notifications here and there but for the most part it is not working like it did just a few weeks back. If anyone could shed some light on this issue I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you!
  2. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

Jun 12, 2011
    I noticed AOL seems to be having a blackout right now. A friend is having problems connecting, and when I went to diagnose it, I went to the AOL homepage and it was down.
  3. solo118 thread starter macrumors 65816

May 16, 2011
    Dont make fun, but for nostalgic reasons I actually use AOL 9.6 while at work (my friends still use AIM so thats another benefit)

I am having no issue connecting, and on the desktop AOL emails pop up instantly.
  4. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

Aug 24, 2013
    Blimey! Not seen AOL in years! My friends family still use it to this day! Why change your email address if you know it and use it for everything?!

Anyway I think that given the general view seems that others are experiencing the same it may be worth contacting AOL directly.
  5. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Aug 10, 2008
    I have no problem at all switching email addresses. I dumped gmail and what I did was make my new one and as i got a notification for a bill on gmail, I logged in and changed it to my new email address. For friends and family, I just sent out a mass email saying I changed it. When I get an email in my old one, I just reply back that a reminder to change.

I changed to for bills and iCloud for personal. I been very happy with both.
  6. solo118 thread starter macrumors 65816

May 16, 2011
    Thanks but at the moment I prefer to keep my AOL mail addresses.

If anyone has a similar problem, or a possible remedy please let me know!
  7. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Nov 13, 2012
  8. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Jul 3, 2013
    Be shocked as I have used it way back when it was called Compuserve and it works fine. My customers have used my same email address for years and years and I can access all of my mail from anywhere.

It is all I expect from email, no more and no less.

You can be shocked!:eek:
  9. C DM macrumors Westmere

Oct 17, 2011
    It's an email address.
  10. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2013
    It's shocking that some people still pay for AOL as their ISP.
  11. cynics macrumors G4

Jan 8, 2012

Sorry OP I doubt you'll find too much help here (here as in 2014).

Only thing I can suggest is googling similar issue and seeing if you can apply them to your use.

Don't use Earthlink or Prodigy in the search line either. :) It's probably on the AOL end though.
  12. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

Mar 19, 2012
    Had to make sure this thread was from 2014 :p.