AOL Now Selling Computers

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
1,454
0
AOL is now selling PC's for $299.99 with a one year subscription to the service. One year service is $286.80.

For $586.79, you get a desktop, manufactured by Systemax, with:
Intel Celeron 2.4GHz
Microsoft Windows XP Home
17-inch CRT
256MB DDR
40GB HDD
CD-ROM
Lexmark Ink Jet Printer
1 Year Warranty

Comes with AOL Office software powered by Sun.

You can upgrade to CD-RW and 80GB for $79.99, or for $199.99, you can get 2.8 GHz, 512MB, DVD-RW and 80 GB.
 

iSaint

macrumors 603
I think we had a discussion the other day on how cheap computers would get. I stated then that I was surprised this wasn't happening already. I guess it could be a good deal for someone, as long as AOL takes care of adware, etc. What type of service is provided?
 

Nermal

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
18,752
1,218
New Zealand
It's undoubtedly onboard video. Sounds like a rebranded version of Star/OpenOffice, so if these computers sell, it should slightly lessen the reach of MS Office :)

And $23.90/month for dialup? :eek:
 

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
19,239
4
great, what else is AOL going to do to stop their ship from sinking?

i doubt this is going to work for them, but who knows...
 

amholl

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2004
269
0
Boston
RIP OFF!
cant u get the same thing from Dell for like 300 bux?
Do they give u any discounts on the service?
 

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
1,454
0
amholl said:
Do they give u any discounts on the service?
That'd be a no.

And, if you cancel the AOL service, you still pay $23.90/month for the remaing months on your contract plus $40.
 

lordmac

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2004
241
0
Santa Cruz, CA
iSaint said:
I think we had a discussion the other day on how cheap computers would get. I stated then that I was surprised this wasn't happening already. I guess it could be a good deal for someone, as long as AOL takes care of adware, etc. What type of service is provided?
Aol provides anti-virus and anti-spyware software free to all subscribers and dose a decent job of automatically scanning email for such things as it comes in. AS much as people seem hate aol to the extremes for not much reason, its not a bad service for new and not very technical computer users. Also an interesting fact aol used to be mac only way back when, and you have to give them some respect for being one of the few companies to completely beat Microsoft when competing with them head on.
 

watcher2001

macrumors 6502a
lordmac said:
Aol provides anti-virus and anti-spyware software free to all subscribers
For 23.90 a month I would not neccesarily call that Free. plus you have to question if it is any good.
lordmac said:
and dose a decent job of automatically scanning email for such things as it comes in.
Gmail does an outstanding job filtering spam as well and it is FREE...
lordmac said:
AS much as people seem hate aol to the extremes for not much reason, its not a bad service for new and not very technical computer users.
On this I have to agree with you. For the computer illiterate (God knows there are enough of them out there) AOL does provide a decent service. I would still rather have your average AOL user spend 50 bucks on a basic computing class at your local community college and then go with a real connection.
lordmac said:
Also an interesting fact aol used to be mac only way back when,
I (as much as I hate to admit it) was an AOL member toward the very beginning and I was using a windows PC. I did not realize that that they were infact first targeted to MAC. Thanks for the info.
lordmac said:
and you have to give them some respect for being one of the few companies to completely beat Microsoft when competing with them head on.
I can kind of agree with that. I have to ask though Did MicroShaft actually try to compete with them?
 

Similar threads

  • revmacian
0
Replies
0
Views
372
  • Roxy.music
28
Replies
28
Views
2K
  • ruslan120
12
Replies
12
Views
804
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.