AOL Radio

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by pazzo83, Jul 11, 2008.

1. pazzo83 macrumors regular

Hey, anyone with the 3g iphone, are any of yall able to listen to the internet radio stations with the AOL radio app? For me the only stations i can listen to are real radio stations, but the internet-based ones are all grayed out. And when I select one it simply doesn't play...

2. pazzo83 thread starter macrumors regular

no one is having this problem? It is frustrating because I want to listen to some of the radio stations but I am unable. Should I uninstall it and reinstall it?

3. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

all the stations are working for me...but i'm on a 2.5g phone with the 2.0 software

4. pazzo83 thread starter macrumors regular

Lame..

I uninstalled it and reinstalled it, but same problem.

5. pazzo83 thread starter macrumors regular

fully activated now, reinstalled it, STILL won't work. WTF.

6. lgivens macrumors newbie

AOL Radio for iPhone

Hello Everyone,
    In the very near term, some stations will not play over the EDGE network. These are the low-bitrate streams for some stations. Stations that cannot be played over EDGE will be greyed out.

ALL stations can be played over 3G cellular or WiFi.

Take it for a spin and let me know what you think!

Thanks...
    Lee Givens
    AOL Mac Product Lead
    http://macblog.aol.com
    AOL iPhone Products

7. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Not sure where I can leave feedback, so I'll post it here for you to read. Please add a sign out button for the AIM app. Thanks :)

8. pazzo83 thread starter macrumors regular

Yea, but the problem is I am ON a 3G network and USING 3G and the stations are grayed out. What do you think the problem is? I know my connection speed is at 3G speeds because everything else is lightening fast.

9. rickmanrick macrumors newbie

pazzo I'm having the SAME problem. I'm using 3G and can only play the actual radio stations and not the internet stations. We can't be the only ones running into this issue.

10. thegetawayplan9 macrumors newbie

same here. Im on 3g but some are grayed out. Other than that the app rules!

11. Superman07 macrumors 6502a

Maybe a stupid question, but are you guys sure you are in a 3G coverage zone when you're trying this? It's possible the phone switched back to EDGE, in which case certain stations would be greyed out.

12. MotionxxUSxx macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A345 Safari/525.20)

Same problem here. In 3g but all Internet stations are greyed out.

13. pazzo83 thread starter macrumors regular

I tested my connection speed and I was getting almost 2 Mbps. I am in Charlotte, NC , so I'm certain we have 3G here. I manually turned off 3G and then turned it back on (using the switch in Settings), but I still had the problem. Plus it has always said "3G" in the upper left-hand corner by the signal strength.

14. pazzo83 thread starter macrumors regular

OK, this is some what of a relief bc I thought I was the only person running into this problem & I thought it was a problem with my phone.

15. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

Same thing here. I tried going from EDGE to 3G to WiFi, but nothing changed. Some stations are grayed-out. Hopefully they will fix this problem over the next few days.

16. bigjohn macrumors 6502

bigjohn

there's a preference pane for the AIM app where you can sign out when you close the app (or not)

17. bigjohn macrumors 6502

bigjohn

AOL Radio works fine for me, remember to sign in for it with your userid, etc.

It didn't work at all on 3G, but did work once I got onto the Wi-Fi network here on campus

18. pazzo83 thread starter macrumors regular

Yea mine didn't work with 3G but did work with Wifi. But I think the point of the app is it being able to work with 3G, I do hope they fix this.

19. boarderx5423 macrumors newbie

I'm still on EDGE, so only the regular stations work for me. When I'm on Wi-Fi, though, all of the stations work just fine.

20. rickmanrick macrumors newbie

21. camarobh macrumors 6502

Agreed

This app has great potential but must be made to function over 3G. I am seeing the same results as the rest of you, on wifi they all work, on 3G the ones I really want to listen to don't.

22. trunksu macrumors 6502

I don't think it's something AOL can do. It looks like it's dependent on the radio stations stream. I'm guessing if they only have a high quality stream then it only works on wifi. Hopefully AOL will make the stations use a lower stream to accomadate at least 3g.

23. cynikal macrumors member

i second the demand to get this working over 3g.. i was very pleasantly surprised to find the radio stations provided by aol radio actually being pretty awesome.. now i don't want to settle for only cbs radio low quality stations :(

see, before realizing wifi is required for all stations to work, i tried putting this to the test and went on my bike while trying to listen to the station, it would not play no matter what and i was pretty frustrated.. it wasn't until later i realized it only worked previously because i was inadvertantly on wifi @ work.. this isn't mentioned ANYWHERE in the app!!

but seriously, 3g has enough bandwidth to play these streams, they aren't that high bitrate!! they sound like 96 or 128 kbps, and heck 3g is plenty to play even a few at the same time.

i'm starting to think the limitation is the SDK's facility to determine whether you're on wifi or not.. not sure if the SDK lets you actually determine if you're on 3g vs edge too, so my guess is AOL radio made it so if not on wifi it won't even attempt to let you play the stations and greys them out..

i would petition they at least give u a checkbox 'try to play stations you may not have enough bandwidth for'.. sheesh!

24. sonofpismo macrumors regular

sonofpismo

Let's Contact AOL

Okay...

AOL Radio appears to stream all stations over EDGE and Wi-Fi, but ONLY local stations over 3G. This is not the way AOL explains the product.

Maybe it's a simple software mistake?

Anyone know how to best conatct them?

25. cenetti macrumors 6502

AOL is useless, stations don't work on 3G....only on wifi
    that's why I got "tuner", works like a charm on 3G....
    ;)