AOL sucks (Surprise, surprise)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AlyCat, Oct 3, 2012.

1. AlyCat macrumors newbie

First, get all your "AOL is two decades ago" jokes out now, because I know it's not actually AOL that's the issue here (or at least this issue:))

I like to think I'm pretty good at Apple products/OSX but for the life of me I cannot figure out what's going on, I've scoured the Internet for a solution to no avail

My primary email account is my AOL, but whenever I try to log in on any mac applications (Message on Mountain Lion and the mail app), it tells me my password is wrong

I'm not sure if this was relevant but recently I was hacked and someone sent out blank emails to a lot of my contacts in strange groupings so AOL prompted me to change my password. I did, successfully, and when I log into AOL mail through safari it allows it and tells me I have my password correct, but the second I type it into mail or message (AIM, not iMessage), it tells me it's wrong. Everything worked before I was hacked.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. AOL is my primary, and it would be nice if I could get into my accounts. Sure I can check my email through Safari but that's not really efficient. Sometimes it pops up with a server/port issue. I'll attach screenshots of both of the port information because I'm almost positive that's the problem, but I'm not sure what it's supposed to say so if anyone can clarify that would be awesome!

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

Attached Files:

2. AlyCat thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm still having a problem with this! I changed my password, and it was working fine for an hour, but then I opened mail again and had a problem today!

I removed the account and now it won't allow me to readd it :( PLEASE SOMEONE HELP I AM BEGGING

3. Weaselboy, Oct 6, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012

Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Try this... completely remove the AOL account from Mail app. Then go to Keychain and ann look for any keychain entries related to AOL and delete them. Now add the AOL email account back to Mail.

Edit: Another idea... after you delete the AOL account go to ~/Library/Mail/V2 and delete any folders from the AOL account. You will have folders there for the GMail acct also, so be careful you leave those alone.

To get to the folder click the desktop then do shift-command-g and paste in ~/Library/Mail/V2

4. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I gave up AOL in 1993. I had no idea it was still around :confused:

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom