Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LakotaDen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
Mass
Hi guys,

Maybe you can help with this issue. We recently set up a MAC web server running Apache and Mac OS X 10.5.3, everything is going fine but one issue with setting up user accounts has me a little bit worried.

We use Workgroup Manager to set up FTP accounts, setting each account up for FTP access and no home directory. Each user only has access to post to the folder that they control. The one thing that I am noticing though is that whenever the user uses Dreamweaver to connect (to post or get files) and alias to the top level web folder is created (FtpRoot Alias). I can delete this alias all day long, but whenever the user connects again - they get the alias back.

I'm not a server admin, just a web developer who knows enough about servers to get them in trouble. So maybe we're just screwing something up when we add users. Any ideas on what could be causing these aliases to our top level FTP directory?

Thanks
Ryan

killerwhack

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
Los Angeles, California
Hi guys,

We use Workgroup Manager to set up FTP accounts, setting each account up for FTP access and no home directory. Each user only has access to post to the folder that they control. The one thing that I am noticing though is that whenever the user uses Dreamweaver to connect (to post or get files) and alias to the top level web folder is created (FtpRoot Alias). I can delete this alias all day long, but whenever the user connects again - they get the alias back.

Any ideas on what could be causing these aliases to our top level FTP directory?

My guess: Dreamweaver is maintaining that alias because there is no home directory defined. If a home directory is defined, dreamweaver will place the alias in the home directory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.