Apache Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lynkynpark86, Apr 25, 2011.

1. lynkynpark86, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011

lynkynpark86 macrumors 6502

I have web sharing setup in System preferences, but the address given starts with "http://192.168.", so I'm sure it'll only work on my network. Is there a way to get Web Sharing to work in a way what will work worldwide (non-192.168.X.XXX IP address)? It'll have minimal traffic, but I need to access it outside of my house.

2. Shake 'n' Bake, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011

Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

What you're talking about would be a web server. If you've got a free weekend, it's a worthwhile project if you've got a spare computer around. I made my own web server (i.e. I am my own web host) at no cost with a Dell Dimension 4400 and 4300s, Ubuntu 10.10, Apache, and DynDNS. It was fairly easy and if you're still interested, I can tell you about the process.

If not, check out this Lifehacker article. It's old, but still works.

3. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

That Lifehacker article can explain it way better than I can. Overall, what you do is get a service from DynDNS and then tell your router to open port 80 on the computer that's acting as the server.

By the way, I got an email notification and the text of your post, but I can't see it here in the thread.