Apartment broken into, punk stole my computers!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by macdoobie, Feb 18, 2008.

1. macdoobie macrumors member

I AM SO PISSED.

I was spending the night at a friends and came back this morning ~8AM to find my 1st door apartment kicked in. The lock was all busted, pryed. I live in a bad area and knew before I even walked in my **** was stolen. What did I have stolen?

1) My 2 week old tricked mac pro --- $5000 worth of hardware!
    2) MBP (but they left the power cord?!)
    3) Z-2300s
    4) TI89 calculator
    5) Passport, a debit card, book of checks, $1 bill that was on the table...
    6) My bookbag full of all my university textbooks, notebooks, plus some other stuff in there I can't fully remember.

I filed a police report, cop came over and talked with me. Called my bank to freeze my account. I asked him what is the chance of recovering my ****? He said something this big in value not very high! I am screwed! All I worked for gone! I'm so ****ed in the ass.:mad::mad:

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Sorry to hear that.

Do you have renters insurance?

3. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Insurance?

Sucks though. SOB needs his/her fingers cut off.

4. macdoobie thread starter macrumors member

I am ****ed because i don;'t have renters insurence :(((((

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

As much as I am sorry for your loss, I can't help but question the logic of owning a $5000 mac pro in a bad neighborhood and not having insurance. I guess there's not much you can do other than take it as one of life's cruel lessons.

6. macdoobie thread starter macrumors member

Im bawling my ****ing eyes out I'm so pissed i wish I could beat the **** out of this crackhead:mad:to think someone invaded my personal space is violating. im basically screwed in school now because i was working on my thesis, a big portion of it was written waiting to be typed.....i feel not only that I got a huge finanfial loss, but I went backwards in school with all those super important notebooks..:mad::mad:

7. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Always have an off site backup.

Lesson = learned

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Some of the items you have could not be recovered even with insurance but I'm with whomever said it above, what in the world were you thinking when you opted to spend $5000 on a computer and nothing on insurance? My insurance is about $22 a month and covers me for just about everything under one lump sum. I schedule things in like my cameras and anything having to do with my computer that I may not otherwise recoup under the replacement cost. Bad neighborhood or not when you live out on your own having insurance not only helps if you are robbed but it helps if someone were to get hurt in your place. Nice of us to all interject our thoughts now I know, but I think it's time for you to spend a little extra a month and get insurance.

9. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

Back in 2004, a group of people broke into our house and stole pretty much EVERYTHING of value. They took my brand new 17" powerbook, all our dvd's, every video game, our safe, jewelry that my family had... it pretty much sucked.

I can sympathize what you're going through right now... good luck, and check ebay for your macs... also reach out to local apple stores and retailers.

Good luck, and I'm sorry!

10. gloryofgreece macrumors member

sorry to hear you loss. What are you doing that you need both high end machines?

11. JSpence macrumors regular

JSpence

I am so sorry to hear you were on the wrong end of a robbery (although both ends are the wrong to be on). I hope your day gets better, keep your head up. You had, and still have, things that other people want.

12. errol macrumors 6502

errol

Make sure to be scanning craigslist for deals that look to good to be true.

13. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Sorry to hear about it and totally sympathise with your urge to kick the little sods where it would hurt.

I was burgled on 10 January and they made off with a new 24" iMac and an older Powerbook (minus the power cord).

Luckily, I was insured and although my Time Machine back up went, I had a slightly older one stashed away so didn't lose too much.

14. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

ya, Mines about $100 a year.. and it also covers anything stolen from my car, or if I'm mugged in the street ...

15. powermac_daddy macrumors 6502

powermac_daddy

just curious. can't apple track the computer? I mean if that "dude" log onto the internet. can they track down the machine? u reported to the po-po... I think they can do some kinda high tech stuff to track your ****. Am i right?

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Likely they knew what was in the apartment, somebody probably tipped them off to the Mac boxes going in your door.

That or looked in a window.

---

Check local pawn shops, craigs list, and ebay for your serial number. If you find it you can tip the police off, and they likely won't do much more than enter the info into their database unless you find them a lead.

17. powermac_daddy macrumors 6502

powermac_daddy

can't the police track the serial # thought the Internet. i mean if that "dude" gets online. there must be a way to somehow track down the machine?

you know we do that software update or send errors back to apple. can't they find out the serial? Wouldn't the police has some kinds of connections with the company for cracking crimes.

18. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Oh man, I'm sorry - you must feel terrible. Yes, you feel like you're personally violated.. I felt the same when someone broke into my car (nothing valuable in there anyway) Let the doors open.. and everything was a mess. :mad:

Since then I'm always extra cautious - besides having insurance, I have LoJack on the car.. that recovery software on my macs, and 2 cameras outside which record to a DVR and the data is also recorded to an offsite server.. overkill, I know, but I was just so pissed off after that incident.

Check craigslist frequently, and ebay of course.. like everyone says. I would be worried about your passport theft, and your debit card. Make sure you monitor your credit files for any unusual activity, like new accounts being opened, etc. Good luck.

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Despite what we all know, most people still never truly "understand" until something bad happens to them. You're going to carry this memory for the rest of your life, and you're going to be more careful.

For now, the only thing you can do is cooperate with police, check Craigslist and eBay, and local pawn shops. I don't know what I'd do if someone broke into my place. I'd probably go nuts if someone stole my computer right now, with 3 years of my PhD on it.....

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Man that just totally blows. :( I hope you can get it back.

21. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Might want to look into an online backup ;)

BTW macdoobie, is your apartment on the first floor/ground level?

22. powermac_daddy macrumors 6502

powermac_daddy

no questions about it, someone familiar with your spot. probably one of your friends.

but again, if you reported your serial to the police and apple. what can they do? unless that "dude" show up at the repair shop. otherwise, you will not be able to track anything.

i might be wrong... anyone?

23. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

No. The only way to do this would be if you had software installed like Lojack for Laptops. This software automatically connects to their server whenever your computer connects to the internet, so they have your current IP and would be able to trace that.

But there's no way to trace over the internet by serial number.

24. powermac_daddy macrumors 6502

powermac_daddy

OK, what if "he" reformat the computer right away. Lojack is useless then. You know what i mean? You can turn on the computer and do all that pre-reformatting stuff at a local coffee shop where you can get free internet. So, if "he" knows what he is doing, there is no way anyone can get his/her computer back.

There must be a way to track serial. I am very curious. Anyone?