Apartment hunting...and questions

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by danny_w, May 2, 2009.

1. danny_w macrumors 601

I didn't know where else to ask this so here goes. I have been living in a single-family home for most of my life (24 years in the current house) but am thinking of going back to an apartment sometime in the future. While searching around I notice some trends that have me scratching my head. What is the attraction of polished concrete floors, exposed ductwork, and columns in the middle of the room? Our parents worked long and hard (as did the architects) to be able to afford something better, and now it has become chic or something to go backwards? I just don't get it. Many of the most expensive downtown apartments and condos in Austin advertise those things as expensive perks, when in reality they have got to be cheaper for the builder. The builders are probably having a field day at this and laughing all the way to the bank. Can somebody please explain to me why that has become the trend in today's market?

2. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.101 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

Aesthetics, plain and simple. What one find aesthetically pleasing (classic victorian vs county home vs urban minimal chic) might not be another's cup of tea. I personally have a condo with polished concrete floors; they are extremely easy to clean, thermally efficient, great for the dogs, and shiny and gleaming, more than any hardwood I have ever seen. I also have high ceilings with exposed ductwork, which is more aesthetic but functional as well. There are also modern trends towards open spaces and lofts, when considering these kinds of aesthetic attributes

3. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.101 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

But again, its purely personal preference. People tend to find my plaxe aesthetically appealing, but when they think about the functional implications of living in an open loft, they feel it is not for them. That's fine. When I think about living in a conventionally walled, 10-room house, I feel it is not for me. Even visiting other's houses makes me feel claustrophobic, as I've become accustomed to open space.

4. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

@jackiecanev2, thank you for the reply. Yes, different people have different preferences. And I can see where open ductwork would allow for higher ceilings, since that is where the ductwork is normally hidden, and could give a feeling of openness. I have never been in an apartment with polished concrete floors, so I didn't know about their functionality or durability. I guess since I grew up in a pier-and-beam house the thought of solid concrete floors sounds like it would be hard on the knees and feet. Of course most houses in the south now are built on concrete slabs anyway, but it seems like a layer of carpet or hardwood would help somewhat to cushion the concrete.

5. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

polished concrete with built in in-floor heating is awesome.

and the concrete is tint-able.

I am fan of concrete floor but the overexposed industrial look of ductwork etc is getting tiresome.

my condo is lofty type, 10 foot ceiling with cork floor w/in floor heating, concrete underneath. no exposed concrete walls, though my neighbour has the faux brick on his.