Apartment Lease - Help!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nickarmadillo, Oct 29, 2010.

1. nickarmadillo macrumors regular

OK Macrumors. I've got a bit of a situation here. I have a one year lease on my apartment, but I'm graduating early and need to get out 6 months into it. I spoke with the apartment manager about this on multiple occasions and she said that this was fine and that all I had to do was get someone to come in and sign a new lease on my apartment starting on my move-out date and pay a $70 fee. I showed my apartment to quite a few people and a couple were really interested, so I told them to just go speak to the people at the office and get the paperwork. Then I never hear from then again. I find out 2 months later that the apartment office has been telling the people that I cannot sublease (a lie) and they have just been getting them to sign new contracts (so that A- they can get more business and B - Keep me on my full-term lease). They are also supposed to give me a referral award (totaling $600 that I know of) and haven't. Those slick ************s . I'm planning on speaking to them tomorrow. What should I do/say?

2. 184550 Guest

If you don't have any hard proof then it'll just end up being a case of he-said she-said.

I suspect that it's in your lease agreement that you're not allowed to sublet/ sublease so technically they've got you there, what they may have said in person is irrelevant unless you got it in writing.

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Tell them you want copies of the paperwork to give to interested parties ... and that you are onto their slimeball behaviour.

Then ask them ... you do want me to help you sublet this place don't you?

4. nickarmadillo thread starter macrumors regular

The people who signed the new leases are willing to back me up as well. They are pretty worried now that they signed a contract with these guys.

5. 184550 Guest

I'd imagine if you brought them with you, a collective you would have much more sway. I'd imagine that these people who just recently signed leases might be able to find a loophole to get out of their leases and move elsewhere; have them threaten to leave, etc...

Make sure to have them demand that you be given your referral reward, offer to split it with them to sweeten the deal if they come with you to complain.

Good luck.

6. nickarmadillo thread starter macrumors regular

Should I speak to a lawyer? I only have about 4 weeks until I need to move out, so there isn't much time left and I might have to walk out of the lease. As far as I am concerned, I did my job and found not one, but 2 people to take over a lease on my move-out date, but I don't want to ruin my solid credit rating.

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Do not hire a lawyer! Just play Hardball back with them ... the bottom line is they are just trying to squeeze you because they have succeeded doing this before.

When they realize their tactics are not working ... they will come around.

the bottom line is ... they do not want to lose money, and you leaving early will cause them a loss that will be hard to recover even if they tried to sue you.

Stick to your guns ... they are being bullies

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

The op signed a lease. He is legally committed to paying the full years rent. How would they be losing money....

9. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Only slumlords will not cooperate on helping a tenant under these situations.

And any Landlord that tries to sue you under this type of situation will end up losing in court. ... a Landlord Tenant judgement will 99% of the time side with the tenant who seems to be honourable with good intentions.

Chances are also the original lease was not drawn up by a lawyer.

Like I said ... just play hardball back ... the only way to hurt your credit is if it does go that far and you refuse to pay. If they do try to sue you ... just pay them right before the hearing ... and tell them they are slumlords.

10. nickarmadillo thread starter macrumors regular

Hopefully they will be reasonable, but given the fact that they were willing to do this to begin with, I'm not sure how they will react to me calling them out on their bull. I have a feeling that they are just going to try to find a way to screw me over as hard as possible.

11. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Hi Nick ... I am not advising you to get real nasty with them ... just do your part with helping them sublet and if they are not slumlords ... they should work with you.

Good luck

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Go to your schools legal aid and talk with them. I know at TTU they had 3-4 full time lawyers on staff for anything the student needed. They were all required to handle lease issues since that is what they get the largest number of and they are very good at it. Chance are good your schools lawyers are as well and will be willing to fight for you.

I know the ones at TTU had no problem going after the worse of them to the point they bankrupt the landlords company. The schools lawyers for students will know pretty much every dirty trick that landlords pull in the area and more than likely have dealt with that company before.
    So go to the legal aid department. They are their for a reason. It is free to the students.