APC SmartUPS 1000 good enough for a Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by krye, Sep 5, 2008.

1. krye macrumors 68000

krye

I just scored a free APC Smart UPS 1000 from work. It just needs a new battery.

[​IMG]

Before I drop $40 on a new battery, do you think 1000 VA is enough for an 8 core Mac? If anything, I need it as a surge protector from my sometimes flaky power at the house.

Anyone have a 1000 VA UPS connected to their Mac Pro?

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

That unit should be plenty as long as you're not pushing the machine, like running at 100% CPU or playing a game with the 8800. Basically, the Mac Pro should be able to sit on there because it draws at most 1000w, but most of the time its running much, much lower. Depending on how you use the machine, it might not be wise to hook up a display (never, ever hook a printer up to battery backup), or other peripherals, but the only way to know for sure is to measure the devices you're using with a Kill-a-Watt or other usage monitor.

Keep in mind that the UPS is rated in VA, not watts, so the actual maximum watt output will be slightly lower (look at the product page on Amazon, etc... as they usually state the actual watt output).

Also, you can basically put as many devices as you want on the non-battery portion of most UPS'es, but never use an extension cord, power strip, etc... to add more plugs.

3. krye thread starter macrumors 68000

krye

Thanks

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

That unit can provide 670W, which would run for 20.1 min @ half load (335W) according to APC web site.

The exact details of your set-up can make all the difference. It would likely run a base Mac Pro and a monitor. To me, the monitor is necessary so you can see to save data, and shut the system down. :D

Good luck. :)

5. Trekkie macrumors 6502a

Trekkie

I have a 1400R.

It'll run a mac pro + 23" LCD + 19" LCD for about 45 min before it shuts off.

that's running procs at 100%, and one time, while playing WoW until I decided to disconnect instead of get stuck somewhere I didn't want to be.