Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macord

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2014
Hi all,

I bought APC BACK - UPS 700VA 230V recently for my iMac (mavericks OS). I have connected the ups to power outlet and iMac's power cable to ups. But i'm facing some issues:

1. Firstly, iMac gets power supply only if i connect to surge protector outlet of ups. If i connect it to battery backup outlet, there's no power supply.
2. But, if i connect my phone charger to battery backup outlet, it works fine.
3. I read somewhere that if mac is connected to ups, we can see 'ups' option in energy saver tab. But i don't see that option in my system. Do i need to connect my mac to ups via usb cable to get this option?

What would be the reason for these issues? Can someone please guide me?

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
Most modern Apple desktops specify Pure Sinewave UPS output and your Back-UPS (Stepped Aprox Sinewave) is not one of those. You would need the Smart-UPS range to satisfy that. Both APC and CyberPower do models that will meet the spec.

If the UPS is old, it is possible that the batteries are practically dead and cannot support a high power demand. Batteries have an effective life of around 3-5 years and may need to be replaced. There are third party batteries available but APC sell them too and offer an uplift for the old ones to get them recycled properly.

Yes you need the USB cable otherwise the iMac will not know it is connected to a UPS. No drivers are needed - Apple support is built-in.

If the UPS is ancient and you want a new one, APC may still be offering their Trade-UPS scheme where they sell you a new Smart-UPS at a discount when you trade in an old UPS of any brand. The discount can be as much as 25%.

I am using the Smart-UPS 1000 and can say that a Mac Pro 2010 loads it to about 25% on idle (1h45 battery runtime) and about 45% on full load.

macord

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2014
Most modern Apple desktops specify Pure Sinewave UPS output and your Back-UPS (Stepped Aprox Sinewave) is not one of those. You would need the Smart-UPS range to satisfy that. Both APC and CyberPower do models that will meet the spec.

If the UPS is old, it is possible that the batteries are practically dead and cannot support a high power demand. Batteries have an effective life of around 3-5 years and may need to be replaced. There are third party batteries available but APC sell them too and offer an uplift for the old ones to get them recycled properly.

Yes you need the USB cable otherwise the iMac will not know it is connected to a UPS. No drivers are needed - Apple support is built-in.

If the UPS is ancient and you want a new one, APC may still be offering their Trade-UPS scheme where they sell you a new Smart-UPS at a discount when you trade in an old UPS of any brand. The discount can be as much as 25%.

I am using the Smart-UPS 1000 and can say that a Mac Pro 2010 loads it to about 25% on idle (1h45 battery runtime) and about 45% on full load.

Thanks DanielCoffey :) I think it''s time to buy a new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.