APC UPS Woes

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by costabunny, Aug 19, 2008.

1. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Well, I have a APC UPS (a SmartUPS 1500SC) which only has serial comms. It works fine on my linux and windows boxes, but I am thus far unsuccessful in getting the Mac to see it.

I have tried the APC USB->RS232 cable and the RS232->RS232 with a startech USB to Serial adaptor. Neither will work. MAC OS X won't recognise the presence of the UPS (it does show the correct identifer for the APC cable and the Startech adaptor).

I have also tried APC's own PowerChute 1.3.4 - no joy - it just pops up saying it is unable to find a UPS.

Has anyone got a clue here? (drat on apple for not having straight RS232 ports on the Pro)

Also - whats the device that the USB Serial port or USB adaptor should show up under /dev ? (I have compiled apcupsd but cannot get it to talk to the correct device)

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I got to the point that I stopped caring about the SW to shut down the UPS.

If I'm not home the machine can sleep for days and days on battery power.

If I'm home, easy enough to shut it down.

3. costabunny thread starter macrumors 68020

costabunny

I am not far from that point (If only I didnt need to remotely access my machine I too wouldn't care)....I just dont want the machine powering off unexpectedly.

I hate to be defeated, but this has been bugging me for days now.

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

5. costabunny thread starter macrumors 68020

costabunny

DOH I read the entire post then came back and saw your 'scrap that' addition.

back to the drawing board