Ape ac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Apple Fan 21, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Apple Fan 21 macrumors regular

Linksys just added 2 new AC routers to their line up. When will Apple upgrade theirs? May some info @ WWDC? I live my AirPort Extreme but it looks like Apple is falling behind in wifi where there were once leading. I know OSX 10.9 has AC code so hopefully new APE are on their way. Info/insight??

2. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Given that they found the WiFi AC coding, I would take that as a good sign the new models this year will support it, both on OSX and iOS side. Although remember AC won't do you any good unless you either a) have a home network where you transfer large files around or b) have Goggle Fiber.

3. Apple Fan 21, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2013

Apple Fan 21 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm hoping the iPhone 5S and 2nd gen iPad Mini (retina hopefully) will have AC. HTC One and Galaxy S4 both have AC so if Apples next gen of products don’t have it they will be way behind. We need an Apple router to support the new standard. I would like the next gen to keep the current form (best looking routers on the market) just add AC and maybe USB 3.0/Thunderbolt to the Extreme. Another Gigabit port would be nice, but would gladly give that up for USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt port.

4. IGregory, May 1, 2013
    Last edited: May 1, 2013

IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

I'm no genius but maybe being that the new standard has not been approve yet and there are no hardware products currently available capable of utilizing the new standard, Apple doesn't see a need to rush a product out the door. It's my guess you will see AC on Apples new product line.

5. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

In the average home, 450MBit/s 802.11n has problems achieving full 100MBit/s of actual bandwidth. 802.11ac should help.

6. Apple Fan 21 thread starter macrumors regular

There are several AC routers on the market today (Linksys & Buffalo) along with several AC devices (HTC One & GS4)

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Apple released both the Airport Extreme and Time Capsule with draft N before final standards approval, and given we see 802.11ac tags in the test builds of 10.8.4, I suspect we will see a new AC device fairly soon.

8. Apple Fan 21 thread starter macrumors regular

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

My guess is they will into new Macbooks with AC at WWDC along with new AC routers.