Aperature and resizing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bgsnmky, Aug 9, 2013.

1. bgsnmky macrumors regular

Hi everyone...I am hoping I am just missing it, but is there a way to take a picture and just resize. I don't want to crop it. But actually resize to upload to the web.

I have a picture and on the application on the web I am trying to upload and am getting that it needs to be smaller than 5242880 bytes.

I was thinking aperature would do that but I can't find it.

I have iphoto, aperature, and Preview...I do not have photoshop....

is there a way for me to do resize it. I would love to do multi pictures at one time, as I will be needing quite a few on the site.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

From the menu,
    File>Export>Version
    Select any pre-existing preset and export or create a new preset with the resolution in mind
    [​IMG]

3. bgsnmky thread starter macrumors regular

That worked..awesome.

Now is that the only way..and just want picture at a time...do you know if you can select a whole project/folder.

actually I just did 8 of them..thanks..

So you can't resize and keep in Aperature?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You can select as many images as you want, though I never selected a whole project but I suspect it will work.

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

You are missing a key point of the Aperture. The idea is to keep full resolution... completely unchanged originals... and then export to whatever format/szie you choose.

You can save as many different export presets that you want... for whatever purpose you want. Saving tons of copies is a backwards way of doing it... just export using your export presets.

/Jim

6. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

As flyz4 said, there's little point to keeping those resized images within Aperture or iPhoto - a key point is to maintain the original untouched at the original resolution.

Keeping both the original and the re-sized versions in Aperture might just confuse matters down the road - you don't want to accidentally edit a reduced-resolution version, and if you've reconsidered the edit later on, it avoids confusion as to whether the saved Export is the up-to-date version. (That said, it can certainly be done - after Exporting and resizing, you'd Import those new files back into Aperture.)

In Aperture and iPhoto, if you need two different edits (crops, adjustments, etc.) you can create a new Version from the Original - that uses far less disk space than Exporting a version to lock-in a particular edit, and gives you the freedom to Export any of those Versions at whatever resolution you desire, if and when those alternate resolutions are needed.

Sure, you could save everything you export in folders outside of Aperture, in case you need to export the same version and size again. In practice, I do very little of that, as maintaining all those folders and files is likely to take more time than simply re-Exporting from Aperture when I need something in particular.