Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomahawk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
Osaka, Japan
Alright i need help choosing which program to use for RAWs or just regular camera imports from my Nikon D40

I have been trying to find sites or other forums that have this debate or discussion on aperture or lightroom but i cant seem to find a strong settlement on which to take

i want the most compatibility. I hear aperture is great with iphoto and its obvious cuz they are made by the same company. but i also use adobe photoshop CS3 so im thinking it'll work great with Lightroom in case i ever needed to photoshop some works of mine.

opinions and answers would be greatly appreciated!

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
There have been many threads on this question here, I'm sure you can find them by searching.

The conclusion is that they are both good, but both do things in different ways so one may feel more comfortable to you than the other. Both offer 30 day free trials so why not try them both and see which one you prefer.

Personally I use LR, and I found this on how to interact it with iPhoto:
http://www.ononesoftware.com/blog/2007/06/lightroom_aperture_and_iphoto_1.html

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I have found I prefer Aperture 2 over Lightroom 2, but both are great. I concur with swiftaw's comment - try them both out.

If you're impatient, just go with Lightroom. It'll feel more familiar from the get-go since its tools are very much like Photoshop's. I don't like the regimented, forced structure of Lightroom; but to each his/her own.

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
I was in a similar situation so I've been evaluating each app via 30-day trial. So far, Aperture is a much more pleasurable experience. But, I've always had a tough time adapting to Photoshop/Elements and the Adobe structure. Not sure why.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
There is no settlement on the issue, because both products are good and appeal to different people. Do a search, download the trials and use them both, this cannot be settled by an academic discussion.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
There is no settlement on the issue, because both products are good and appeal to different people. Do a search, download the trials and use them both, this cannot be settled by an academic discussion.

Exactly as I was about to say! :)

A query such as this usually ends up with a discussion along the lines of "a is better than b" - "Oh no it's not, b is better than a" Leaving none the wiser!

With respect, this type of query can, in my opinion, be really rather pointless - we all have different tastes and requirements and the only way to come to a resolution is, as has already been said, try them out for yourself and make your own decision!

apearlman

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2007
Red Hook, NY
Plenty of information available

Thomahawk,

There are probably hundreds of threads here and on various photo sites (dpreview, fredmiranda, etc.) comparing these two applications. There is no definitive answer to the question of "which one is better". Different people prefer one or the other based on minor feature differences or the different controls/interfaces. Both programs are available for a free trial, so you could download them and decide for yourself.

Good luck --

Andrew

EDIT: Okay, everyone already said what I did. That means it must be true, right?

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
Can the moderators make a "LR vs. Ap" sticky post? Maybe a post with links to the threads that already address this topic?

Just a thought.

hector

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2006
Cheltenham, UK
I agree with what others have said, although it is also worth noting that if you are using a 'slower' machine, like a macbook, then LR is ALOT faster than Aperture, at least in my experience.
I downloaded both trials and found Aperture to be more or less unusable on my 1.83 cd with 1gb RAM. LR on the other hand is pretty snappy

yrsonicdeath

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
On a somewhat related note, does anyone know if you can use the trial of Lightroom 2.0 if we participated in the beta. I am asking because I'm at work.

apearlman

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2007
Red Hook, NY
Yes, Beta to Trial version works fine.

On a somewhat related note, does anyone know if you can use the trial of Lightroom 2.0 if we participated in the beta. I am asking because I'm at work.

Yes, you can. That was my path: from the Beta to the 2.0 trial, then to the full version.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Alright i need help choosing which program to use for RAWs or just regular camera imports from my Nikon D40

The frst question is "What's wrong wit iPhoto?" The way you answer that may tell us which program you'd like, Aperture or LR. So why not iPhoto?

You can download each program and use it 30 days for free. Try both of them. But be warned. You WILL have to read and study and watch the tutorial videos. 30 Days is a short period in which to come up to speed with either program. You need to actually use the software almost every day if you are to make an informed decision.

Both will do what you need. Both interface very well with Adobe Photoshop. I'd say both are nearly seamless. Aperture does work better with other Apple applications. Specifically the media browser built into Finder can look inside an Aperture library.

The big difference is style. Lightroom imposes a workflow while Aperture just is a big tool box and has nothing in it to imply an order on the steps you do. Aperture uses Apple's concept of "library" and you are best off to just go with it. LR likes finder style folders and is best for those who can't understand or deal with libraries.

Download both and see for yourself

troyhark

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2008
Both will do what you need. Both interface very well with Adobe Photoshop. I'd say both are nearly seamless. Aperture does work better with other Apple applications.
And LR works much better with Adobe apps.

The big difference is style. Lightroom imposes a workflow while Aperture just is a big tool box and has nothing in it to imply an order on the steps you do.
It does? News to me, i do whatever i want/need to, in whatever order I want. Having said that, LR's develop tools are laid out in a sensible order of usage, if you want to do it that way.

Aperture uses Apple's concept of "library" and you are best off to just go with it.
If you have no interest in knowing where things are!
LR likes finder style folders and is best for those who can't understand or deal with libraries.
Or those who realise what a mess Apple makes of file management. I use a date+label filing system that is independent of any OS, any software package, as in 50 years time, I still want to be able to find files easily. LR or Aperture still being here then!? Keywording is not all it's cracked up to be when you shoot same things repeatedly, before anyone says I do not understand metadata searching/libraries.Plus adding keywords well, involves a lot of hard work and discipline to work effectively.

Download both and see for yourself
Absolutely.

One area where LR is simply waaaaay better is presets. Aperture simply lacks this very useful feature, a very baffling omision. Make's life much harder.
Lift +Stamp is a kludgy workaraound and is not the same thing at all.
There's a reason why Aperture is so much cheaper than LR, it needs some advantage! :D

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
And LR works much better with Adobe apps.
Really?
It does? News to me, i do whatever i want/need to, in whatever order I want. Having said that, LR's develop tools are laid out in a sensible order of usage, if you want to do it that way.
ChrisA is just saying that both apps have a different UI philosophy and that some people find Lightroom's labor division into different modules restricting. That doesn't mean every user feels limited by having to switch modules.
If you have no interest in knowing where things are!
I know exactly where my things are.
Or those who realise what a mess Apple makes of file management. I use a date+label filing system that is independent of any OS, any software package, as in 50 years time, I still want to be able to find files easily.
I have learnt how useless that is when I switched from iView Media Pro to Aperture. Knowing where the files are is pointless, because the work is in the adjustments, the keywords and not just the file structure. All of this is lost, unless you export the photos with Aperture or Lightroom. I've lost literally hundreds of hours of work when making the switch (which was necessary, because of silent database corruption problems).
One area where LR is simply waaaaay better is presets. Aperture simply lacks this very useful feature, a very baffling omision. Make's life much harder.
Aperture does not lack presets. It has tons of places where you can have presets (e. g. when keywording, importing, exporting, etc.). For adjustments, Apple has chosen a different philosophy with Lift + Stamp.

In any case, to claim that one is waaayy better than the other is IMHO childish.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Lift +Stamp is a kludgy workaraound and is not the same thing at all.
There's a reason why Aperture is so much cheaper than LR, it needs some advantage! :D

No to argue. Just using the above to point out the way most people think.

We tend to make up a list of features and then compare the lists. That's really wrong. What we should do is make up a list of problems to be addressed and then look to see how each product address those problems. For example cameras: We can count how many auto focus points there are and say "11 is better then 5" but the problem might be tracking moving subjects, which camera is best. Maybe the camera with 5 points had a better motion estimation algorithm and did not need 11 points to achieve better performance? Same here. The problem is that you have 20 shots all in the same light, you want to white balance the shots but you don't want to have to do it 20 times. What's the best way? Apple's idea was that first you balance one image then tell Aperture to apply the same correction to the other 19. Aple calls this "lift and stamp". Would it have been better to first "link" the 20 shots by telling Aperture they were all in the same light and then white balance the whole set in mass? Three of ways to solve this problem. Lift and stamp, presets and "linking" but as soon you pick one the feature counters find two "missing features" but are they really missing or just un-needed? If the problem is solved I'd say un-needed.

It's like saying my car as several "missing features" no "choke" or mixture control, and the spark advance control is "missing". These feature were common in older cars. Are they missing or un-needed in my car? You can't compare feature lists. You have to compare lists of addressed problems.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
As pointed out previously, download them both and try them for a month.

Both are equally good applications, however you may find one is better suited to your own working.

Ignore who makes the app as some are blinded by it's Apple/Adobe is has to be better.

The initial cost is irreverent if you're working with a large (or potentially large) library. Both Applications have yearly updates (so it seems), so what ever the system you'll be paying for it for a number of years.

troyhark

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2008
Yes really.:p

I know exactly where my things are.
Only if using Aperture and Aperture's existence in 30-40yrs time? Unlikely

I have learnt how useless that is when I switched from iView Media Pro to Aperture. Knowing where the files are is pointless, because the work is in the adjustments, the keywords and not just the file structure. All of this is lost, unless you export the photos with Aperture or Lightroom. I've lost literally hundreds of hours of work when making the switch (which was necessary, because of silent database corruption problems).
The whole point of fillig by date/label is that it is immune to database corruptions as it is not a database. Filing by date at the OS level is what I am talking about. Far more robust. And you can then add keywording etc on top of that. So even if database goes belly up. Finding my images is not a problem.
BTW I can also look at my developed images in Bridge without exporting them. So, having a file browser and a database solution is way better than just a database solution. Not to mentionif Aperture DB dies/gets corrupted you lose all your editing work, whereas wtith LR you don't if you save to XMP.

Aperture does not lack presets. It has tons of places where you can have presets (e. g. when keywording, importing, exporting, etc.). For adjustments, Apple has chosen a different philosophy with Lift + Stamp.
No, Presets are a specific feature, not present in Aperture, whereas Lift + Stamp is simply the same as Sync/Auto Sync is in LR.

In any case, to claim that one is waaayy better than the other is IMHO childish.
Not if that is actually the case. I'd like to use Aperture as it's apparently cheaper, but as it's slower + clunkier in use, it will actually cost me time and therefore money.
Besides seeing as LR has localised RAW editing and Aperture doesn't means LR trumps Aperture, just with that single feature, same goes for develop Presets.
And to repeat from above post as it's so important - if Aperture DB dies/gets corrupted you lose all your editing work, whereas with LR you don't if you simply save to XMP. This 'tiny' little difference trumps any feature of any kind within either programme. As there's no point having a killer feature, if the work it does can be lost so easily.

No to argue. Just using the above to point out the way most people think.

We tend to make up a list of features and then compare the lists. That's really wrong. What we should do is make up a list of problems to be addressed and then look to see how each product address those problems. For example cameras: We can count how many auto focus points there are and say "11 is better then 5" but the problem might be tracking moving subjects, which camera is best. Maybe the camera with 5 points had a better motion estimation algorithm and did not need 11 points to achieve better performance? Same here. The problem is that you have 20 shots all in the same light, you want to white balance the shots but you don't want to have to do it 20 times. What's the best way? Apple's idea was that first you balance one image then tell Aperture to apply the same correction to the other 19. Aple calls this "lift and stamp". Would it have been better to first "link" the 20 shots by telling Aperture they were all in the same light and then white balance the whole set in mass? Three of ways to solve this problem. Lift and stamp, presets and "linking" but as soon you pick one the feature counters find two "missing features" but are they really missing or just un-needed? If the problem is solved I'd say un-needed.

It's like saying my car as several "missing features" no "choke" or mixture control, and the spark advance control is "missing". These feature were common in older cars. Are they missing or un-needed in my car? You can't compare feature lists. You have to compare lists of addressed problems.
But that's that I was doing.
Aperture cannot solve many problems that LR can. How? Simple LR has features that Aperture lacks. Just as LR lacks book publishing ability, so if I wanted to publish a book I'd have to use Aperture. Though I'd do all the work on images in LR/PS/Bridge and simply export finished shots to Aperture to lay out in book.
Also as explained above, Lift + Stamp is not a different approach to Presets, it's a completely different tool. Lift and Stamp is a syncing solution, equivalent to Sync/AutoSync button in LR, which is very different from having develop presets, saved as 'Presets' to get a specific look. Not to mention you can apply these on import.

What is most obvious when reading these discusions and feature request discusions is that people do not actually know how to use the software properly. As what they ask for, is actually there a lot of the time or they compare quite different tools as if they were the same.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Only if using Aperture and Aperture's existence in 30-40yrs time? Unlikely
And?
I know that I'll have to migrate from time to time and it'll probably be a nuisance. But it's like moving from one apartment to another, it's a fact of life.
I'll probably have less trouble migrating my Aperture (or Lightroom) library than migrating from iView to Aperture.
The whole point of fillig by date/label is that it is immune to database corruptions as it is not a database. Filing by date at the OS level is what I am talking about. Far more robust.
The images still exist as files on my harddrive -- which I can easily access if so I desire. You're still missing the point that most of the work is not contained in the actual file structure and cannot be imitated by a file system structure.

Plus, I have four separate backups (Time Machine plus three vaults) of my pictures, one of them offsite. Unless there is a war, even if there is a database corruption, chances are that I can restore at least work that is not older than a month. (Not that this is specific to Aperture, I have always been very proactive about backups.)
No, Presets are a specific feature, not present in Aperture, whereas Lift + Stamp is simply the same as Sync/Auto Sync is in LR.
You speak of image editing presets, not presets in general.
If you prefer Lightroom's way to transfer image edits from one to another, good for you, then you use the right app for yourself.
Not if that is actually the case. I'd like to use Aperture as it's apparently cheaper, but as it's slower + clunkier in use, it will actually cost me time and therefore money.
Your fanboyism is not helpful.
Price does not matter in most cases. If I preferred Lightroom or if Aperture were more expensive than Lightroom, I'd pay for it.

And I think nobody here is arguing that you should use Aperture when you prefer Lightroom. But why is it so hard to conceive that other people may in fact (and for good reason) prefer the other app?

Also as explained above, Lift + Stamp is not a different approach to Presets, it's a completely different tool. Lift and Stamp is a syncing solution, equivalent to Sync/AutoSync button in LR, which is very different from having develop presets, saved as 'Presets' to get a specific look. Not to mention you can apply these on import.
That's not how I use it at least: I edit one shot (e. g. change the white balance or make it sepia) and then transfer probably only a part of these changes to other pictures (e. g. I probably don't want to transfer crops, so I delete it from the list of changes). I have never found the need for image editing presets. And it's certainly not a syncing solution to me ;) Although you could make a sample projects and lift and stamp from them. Probably you'll say it's not the same thing and yes, it's a different way to get things done.
What is most obvious when reading these discusions and feature request discusions is that people do not actually know how to use the software properly. As what they ask for, is actually there a lot of the time or they compare quite different tools as if they were the same.
What is even more obvious is that most people don't know both apps very well. ;)

troyhark

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2008
Your fanboyism is not helpful.
I am anything but a fanboi. I now simply use the better app after using both.
And I have been extremely critical of LR in the past. It wasn't even usable enough for me until 1.3. Aperture still isn't good enough for my needs.

And I think nobody here is arguing that you should use Aperture when you prefer Lightroom. But why is it so hard to conceive that other people may in fact (and for good reason) prefer the other app?
I've never said people shouldn't use Aperture or nobody should prefer it. I'm pointing out that LR [at present] is a far superior tool in so many ways. And why that is the case.

You already been let down badly by one database app, so I'm baffled as to why you are so enamoured with another [Aperture] with exactly the same potential issue. Actually worse, as image editing is at risk too.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I've never said people shouldn't use Aperture or nobody should prefer it. I'm pointing out that LR [at present] is a far superior tool in so many ways. And why that is the case.
It's vastly superior for what you do. For other people, it's the other way around. Lightroom is in no way superior in the way you describe it. Both have features and appeals that the other one doesn't have. What you may not think to be important, others think are essential. And vice versa.
You already been let down badly by one database app, so I'm baffled as to why you are so enamoured with another [Aperture] with exactly the same potential issue. Actually worse, as image editing is at risk too.
That's because you don't understand how the Aperture Library works. I've posted an explanation in the other thread. The probability that I lose all my settings, edits and files due to Aperture is essentially nil. Information is well compartmentalized into parts that are (to a large degree) self-sufficient.

troyhark

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2008
That's not how I use it at least: I edit one shot (e. g. change the white balance or make it sepia) and then transfer probably only a part of these changes to other pictures (e. g. I probably don't want to transfer crops, so I delete it from the list of changes). I have never found the need for image editing presets. And it's certainly not a syncing solution to me ;) Although you could make a sample projects and lift and stamp from them. Probably you'll say it's not the same thing and yes, it's a different way to get things done.

What is even more obvious is that most people don't know both apps very well. ;)
As you just illustrated nicely! :p :D
Syncing and Presets in LR only alter the editable attributes you want changing, not just all of them.

Plus Develop Presets are not a syncing solution, they are a develop solution. Syncing is done separately.
Now where they are very useful is if you edit an image and like the look of it, you can save that look for another time. And once you've used this tool, not having it, seems a bit crippling. And being able to import files with edits already applied by using presets is a fantastic time saver. For example I shoot regularly at a place where I know the lighting white balance quirks, so I simply import all the images with the white balance corrected and the basic raw tweaks I know that are needed to get to a good starting point for editing individually. And basically that's 90% of the work done before looking through shots.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
As you just illustrated nicely! :p :D
I've never claimed to know Lightroom well nor have I made claims that certain things aren't possible with Lightroom.
I have only described the way I work now. I have not claimed that this weren't possible with Lightroom.
Syncing and Presets in LR only alter the editable attributes you want changing, not just all of them.
Ditto for Aperture. So what's your point?
Plus Develop Presets are not a syncing solution, they are a develop solution. Syncing is done separately.
As I said before, I wouldn't have any use for a syncing solution.
Now where they are very useful is if you edit an image and like the look of it, you can save that look for another time.
And you're saying that cannot be done with Aperture?
You can define presets for different editing modules in Aperture or stamp from a sample project.
For example I shoot regularly at a place where I know the lighting white balance quirks, so I simply import all the images with the white balance corrected and the basic raw tweaks I know that are needed to get to a good starting point for editing individually.
I would never apply white balance globally to an import, for example. I would find the right RAW balance for one shot in a series though and then transfer that settings to the others.

Again, I'm repeating myself, but not everybody works like you and me. So the functions you describe may simply not be needed by others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.