Aperture 2.0 uses too much memory?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bosstucker, Mar 3, 2009.

1. bosstucker macrumors newbie

So I'm not really a computer buff, but I am getting into photography so i just got the aperture 2 trial to test it out and there were a couple things i noticed. One was that the three little buttons for closing and minimizing and maximizing were gray like the graphite appearance settings, and that the menu bar at the top loses the transparent setting and becomes opaque like in tiger when ever im in the application, but if I go into a different one, things go back to normal. So my first question, is it normal for aperture to have its own "theme" and also, I have the iStat pro widget and I noticed that whenever i use aperture, active memory jumps to 1+ gb and free is down to about 300mb (i have 2 gb), and when I quit aperture, it doesn't change, it stays the same, even if I quit all applications, but when I restart my computer it goes back to about 1.3gb of free memory. is this normal?

2. Dale Cooper macrumors regular

Dale Cooper

Aperture is a "pro" app, and uses a pro theme, so I wouldn't worry about that (including the menubar).

I don't think you shoudn't worry about the memory either. The whole free, wired, active, inactive memory can be a bit confusing, but generally OS X handles memory well and you should never restart in order to "free up" memory. You could of course open Activity Monitor and get a more detailed overview of exactly how much memory aperture uses, and what happens to the free/active/inactive memory when you close it.

3. bosstucker thread starter macrumors newbie

so what exactly is the difference between wired active inactive and free memory? Because I swear that after I close aperture, everything slows way way down, like it's still open, is there a *Gasp* task manager that lets you end processes like in windows?

4. robogobo macrumors 6502

robogobo

If anything, Aperture doesn't use enough memory. I'm shooting with the 21MP 5D mark2, and shuffling around 35MB raw files in Aperture is really testing its limits, even on my Mac Pro quad. I'm impressed with its use of multiple cores, but it's not even trying to use more than a gig of RAM when there are well over 2gigs free. Photoshop on the other hand takes all it can get and I like that.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'm hopeful that Aperture 3 will be 64bit and will use >4Gb of RAM...

6. keyofnight macrumors regular

keyofnight

Yeah. I'm impressed by Aperture's ram usage—it is excellent considering what it does.

Something else to note. When using Aperture for the first time, some people dump all of their RAWs into it at once—you know, to test it. Aperture generates previews for each image, and that can be a lot of images to generate (three or four previews to a raw, I think). This may explain RAM consumption?

Thoughts?