Aperture 2.0 with MBP 2.5 GHz, 2GB/4GB how different?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by kdum8, Jun 10, 2008.

1. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

I am currently using Aperture 2.0 on the latest 2.5 GHz MBP (VRAM 512MB) with 2GB of RAM. I am getting a few too many beach balls when using the cloning tool intensively sometimes in full screen mode. Having to wait upto a minute on occasion.

Upgrading to 4GB RAM seems like a potential solution but has anyone here had any personal experience of the differences in performance using Aperture 2 on a 2/4GB MBP for comparison?

Cheers,

:eek:

2. tunakuja macrumors newbie

Not Using aperture 2.1

any reason why you are not using aperture 2.1. Just got my mbp 2.5. yet to install aperture still finalizing process of calibrating the battery which will only get done tomorrow then I can also try my luck

3. kdum8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kdum8

just haven't got around to updating yet. Did 2.1 bring much of a change?

4. tunakuja macrumors newbie

apparently it should improve performance according to this blurb...

About Aperture 2.1 Update
    Gives photographers incredible tools to manage massive libraries, speed through photo edits, make essential image adjustments, and deliver photos online and in print using one simple, integrated workflow. Whether you shoot RAW or JPEG, Aperture lets you get the most out of your photography.

Learn more about Aperture 2.

What’s New in this Version
    Aperture 2.1 updates various features of the application and addresses issues related to performance and overall stability. It also includes fixes that impact a number of other areas, including import, Quick Preview, All Projects view, image adjustments, books, printing, and export.The update is recommended for all customers using Aperture 2.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/aperture21update.html

5. kdum8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kdum8

OK thanks, I'll update first to 2.1 and see if there is an improvement. ;)

6. JonD25 macrumors 6502

I don't know what it's worth to you, but I'm running 2.1 on the Mac in my sig. I usually have to have Photoshop running at the same time and I find 2 GB of RAM not really enough with everything else I have running too. Unfortunately, I don't even have the option of finding out whether 4 GB of RAM would help much or not since my iMac maxes out at 2 GB.

7. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

I'm running Aperture 2.1 on a lesser MBP (2.4GHz Penryn), but with 4GB of RAM, and I never have that beach ball problem.

8. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Get a faster hard drive.. that's the biggest bottleneck in your system.

9. kdum8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kdum8

A bit difficult to do since I use my internal 5400 RPM drive without voiding my Apple Care though...

10. kdum8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kdum8

great that's worth knowing. An excuse to get more RAM perhaps... ;)