Aperture 2.1 is losing thumbnails!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MarcoMac, Apr 8, 2008.

1. MarcoMac macrumors newbie

Hi there
    I recently installed Aperture 2.1 and love it until....
    A large collection of pictures (jpgs) was imported and after 2 days a lot of thumbnails are missing in the library. The images are still there, I can click on the gray spot the image supposed to be and view the preview and master.

It very annoying! I am planning to import about 10.000 images soon and this problem must be solved before. So pleaseeee help me.

MarcoMac:apple:

attached you can find a screenshot of the problem

Attached Files:

2. Alyssa macrumors newbie

I don't know why it does that to me also but you can create thumbnails by selecting the image and clicking on Images/Generate Thumbnails.

It won't show that the image is clicked but it is. Click on Generate Thumbnails anyway and the thumbnail will be created.

If you're missing lots of thumbnails in a project, you can do ALT-A (to select all images) then Genereate Thumbnails.

3. hedehodo macrumors newbie

This has been driving me crazy as well (and trying to find a solution @ Apple Solutions). I am using v2.1 and have ~ 9K images.

I am doing a select all + generate thumbnails, and it just generates it for a few hundred or a few thousand, but not for all! And, everytime I navigate thru the browser view, I see bunch of fuzzy thumbnails. Then, I hit generate thumbnails again (after select all), and then thumbnails you see on current screen gets generated. You scroll down a few screens, again you see fuzzy thumbnails...

4. MarcoMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem fixed...sort of

Hi there
    The problem was fixed but I am not sure how. I relocated my entire database to a novel folder on my extenal HD (ouch that took a long time). After that I let Aperture run all night making thumbs and previews. Ever since no problems during import as described earlier. I also posted this problem on Apples Support Forum, so check it out.

good luck
    MarcoMac:):):):):)

5. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

If you hold command + option when starting Aperture, it will ask you if you want to rebuild the library. It should resolve this issue.