Aperture 2 and CD backups

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Macbobit, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Macbobit macrumors newbie

Hi, I am new Aperture and have recently started using it to organise my photos. I like it a lot but I am yet to come across a simple way of backing up my projects to CD ( I want to use CDs because I heard they are more reliable in the long run). I back up my work with both the vault feature and time machine but just in case something happens to those drives I want to have my stuff on CD as well.

Does anybody have any tips?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Unlike LightRoom which gives you the ability to export catalogs for specific folders, I don't believe aperture has such capability.

While the vault feature is awesome, it really doesn't work when all you need is a specific project.

You could export the masters with metadata, that's pretty close to what you may be asking but other then that, I'm not sure there is a solution.

3. Macbobit thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I suspected as much. I erred on getting lightroom for a couple of other reasons but anyway...

Thanks very much!:)

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No problem. I've been an aperture user since day one and found it to be a great program. It's very good with organizing your images and the UI allows you to bounce around quite easily.

I just converted over to LightRoom, and if I can provide any advice, the sooner you do it the easier the transition because your library is only going to grow.

Personally I found the editing tools for LR to be much better the aperture's. While aperture has the plug-in architecture and that's a great thing, its almost there to fill the lack of editing capability and its destructive.

While I don't think you can go wrong with either tool, I'm finding that LR fits my needs better then aperture could have. As usual ymmv