Aperture 2 became too outsized for my display. Help!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by McNewcomer, Nov 24, 2009.

1. McNewcomer macrumors newbie

I am new to Mac (just got the new Macbook) and new to Aperture. But I have always been an adept computer user and switching from PC was not upsetting. I have been following the Aperture manual diligently for three days. But hours ago the material in both the viewer and the browser expanded a bit and eliminated the slider to the right of the screen completely off. I have tried adjusting every possible view setting. I have rebooted my computer. Nothing seems to bring the material back down in size so that I can view the rest of the right side of the viewer/browser. Another way to say this is I no longer see the full frame -- about one tenth of all material is now missing. (If I flip views, then the left side of my viewer is cut off.) I have tried googling for an explanation but can't seem to define my terms well enough to get a proper answer. I can't be the only one this has ever happened to. But I have to get everything in proportion again. When I am in browser view only, I have no slider at all to use to scroll through my pictures. The program is unusable like this.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Go into ~/Library/Preferences/ and delete the Aperture plist.

3. McNewcomer thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't find the location

Sorry. I am trying and trying to find library preferences. Not listed in help menu either. I'm a mess over this. Your answer sounds great if I could execute it!

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Open Finder and go to your home folder (which is called ~ in Unix-speak, get there by choosing Home from the Go menu). You can then navigate through Library, to Preferences.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't use Aperture, so take my suggestion with a grain of salt. I may not be completely clear on the problem, but I wonder if it can be fixed in the same way as iTunes, when the window is too big and the resize lower right corner is no longer on the screen.

Can you hold the Option key and press the green button in the top left corner?

6. McNewcomer thread starter macrumors newbie

Because I am a lifetime PC user, I don't know how to go into files on a Mac. It was very transparent in a PC file tree. So I cannot figure out how to see files yet in Finder if this is the way to get into it.

7. McNewcomer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for trying. The green button trick didn't work This is only a portion of the screen that I can't see. It Inspector side is fine.

8. McNewcomer thread starter macrumors newbie

I hit go then home and can now see the aperture library file. But I can't expand it to see contents. I can see the size (26 gigs so far). How do I navigate through the libary?

And I REALLY appreciate your helping me. This is a trying time.

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

That's not what you're looking for. Go to your home folder, then into your library folder, then into the preferences folder, in there should be a file called "com.apple.Aperture.plist" delete that. Then relaunch aperture.

Never ever ever touch that Aperture library package. It holds all your photos, and messing with that would have bad consequences.

10. McNewcomer thread starter macrumors newbie

Found it!!! Now will delete and reboot!!!

Thank you, thank you , thank you.

11. McNewcomer thread starter macrumors newbie

It worked!!!

I have been struggling with this problem for hours and hours. You fixed it!

I a not at all new to computers and actually used to be able to program in dos. So I have no fear. But I do have frustration when I can't solve a problem.

I am sure in a week or two that using a Mac will be second nature to me. I bought a MacPro cause I am shooting RAW images and it was either get a new PC -- but I've done that way too often -- or get a Mac. My son is a Mac user and has not had to upgrade for years. So it just seemed time to switch.

BTW, I had to reboot three times to make it work. I realized I had left Aperture open after I deleted the preference file, so it was popping it back in just as it shut down. Figured it out on the third time.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

12. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I'm glad everything worked out for you! Switching to a new OS can be hard, but you just need to understand OS X is very different from Windows, so it might take a while before you're as comfortable with OS X as you are with Windows.

Have a happy Thanksgiving to you too!