Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

merlinn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
I am running a fully updated MBP (2.6 intel core duo) and a nearly new Imac, both have Aperture 2, fully updated.

Just bought a R1900 Epson photo printer.

If I print from Aperture the colors are all washed out... print from Iphoto and they are just fine...

Have any of you had these issues and if so were you able to correct them???

Thank you,

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I am running a fully updated MBP (2.6 intel core duo) and a nearly new Imac, both have Aperture 2, fully updated.

If I print from Aperture the colors are all washed out... print from Iphoto and they are just fine...

Thank you,

You may not be printing the same image. Is this a raw format file? if so then iPhoto and Aperture each have to preform a raw-->jpg conversion before printing. Each program might have a different default setting for 'vibrancy" or saturation. If you are printing jpg files and they are in fact the same filethen it's something else.

What exactly are you doing?

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House

Thank you,

Are you soft proofing in Aperture using the ICC profile for the paper you will be using (e.g. SPR1900 Photo Paper Glossy)?

Is your monitor calibrated?

If you are serious about fine art printing, I'd totally recommend this video series on Luminous Landscape. Well worth the money.

merlinn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
The photos I am comparing are jpeg files shot on a cannon G9.

The monitor is calibrated.

I have tried system controlled and the R1900 glossy settings both yielding the same results.

Thank you for your help I appreciate it.

merlinn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
No I was not, but will and let you know what I get... Thanks again!

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
No I was not, but will and let you know what I get... Thanks again!

If you soft proof them onscreen using the ICC profile for the paper you will be printing on, they will appear much different. Then you can edit them to look like you want to when they come out of the printer. That should do the trick. Make sure you print using that same profile.

Worst case scenario, you can order a profile for your paper from Cathy's Profiles.

Good luck - let us know how you make out. :)

merlinn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
I did the soft proofing with various profiles.. and could see the differences.

Selecting the correct profile SPR1900 Premium Glossy, looks perfect on screen again the photo was softer.

Looking at Cathy's site there was not a Profiling Package for Aperture..

Gary, thank you for your help, this is such a frustrating process.. especially when the wife was happy with Iphoto.. I move us to the better system, Aperture,... The printer we had.. Epson R280 worked great.. but the R1900 is so much better.. and you love to print your photos..

The R280 is gone.... And I am in the dog house till I get this fixed... fall is upon us and it could be getting cold out there!!!

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I did the soft proofing with various profiles.. and could see the differences.

Selecting the correct profile SPR1900 Premium Glossy, looks perfect on screen again the photo was softer.

Gary, thank you for your help, this is such a frustrating process.. especially when the wife was happy with Iphoto.. I move us to the better system, Aperture,... The printer we had.. Epson R280 worked great.. but the R1900 is so much better.. and you love to print your photos..

The R280 is gone.... And I am in the dog house till I get this fixed... fall is upon us and it could be getting cold out there!!!

You don't need an Aperture profile. Once she sends you the ICC file, you plug it into the proper place (forget where that is) and roll with it.

I DO recommend the video I recommended above, though. It may have some workflow suggestions that help put the pieces together.

You are using Epson paper, right?

That said, if none of that works, send the printer back and try another copy.

Good luck!

merlinn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
I have an email off to Cathy..

How does the video work with aperture?? I see CS3, what do you use??

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I have an email off to Cathy..

How does the video work with aperture?? I see CS3, what do you use??

They use Lightroom and Photoshop CS3 in the video. I use Aperture and Photoshop, but do 50% of my printing from Aperture and 50% from Photoshop.

It's really the principles behind what they are talking about that are important (and I found very useful and helpful).

What monitor calibrator are you using?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

Please don't that this the wrong way but the above comment tell me you don't understand the bigger picture. If you care enough about color to be worrying about all of this you do need to actually understand the bigger picture.

OK, the reason you don't see a package for Aperture is that color profiles or in a standard format and are not specific to any application. ICC profiles are just small text files. All that service is doing is measuring the printed image with a colorimeter, doing some number crunching and wrings out a small file. You could do this yourself except that colorimeters that mease reflective art are very expensive

One more thing. The most common error Photoshop users make is "double calibration". PS gives to option to apply the color profile itself or to let the printer driver apply it. You need to turn on color correction on one and only one place. The common mistake is to have it done in both places. Not having my Mac here I wonder if Aperture allows you to make this same error.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.