Aperture 2 + iPhoto 11

shady825

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
So I upgraded to Yosemite to find out my Aperture 2.x doesn't work. I don't really use my DSLR anymore so I figured what the hell I'll just use iPhoto from here on out. Well I was prompted to download iPhoto 11 and now when I try to open my Aperture library with iPhoto I get a message about needing to upgrade to Aperture 3.3.
Is there any way around this without buying Aperture 3? I would just like to use iPhoto but I cant lose my 5000+ pictures in my Aperture library. It's like Aperture is holding my pics hostage until I upgrade..
Any help would be greatly appreciated but I think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and just buy Aperture 3...

Attachments

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
Given that Apple previously advised they're no longer developing new versions of iPhoto and Aperture (to be replaced by Photos early next year), you might want to save $80 and look at alternatives such as Lightroom, AfterShot, etc.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Given that Apple previously advised they're no longer developing new versions of iPhoto and Aperture (to be replaced by Photos early next year), you might want to save $80 and look at alternatives such as Lightroom, AfterShot, etc.
The problem is I have over 5000 pics in my Aperture library that I cant lose. I need to get them out some how. I'm thinking buying Aperture 3 is gonna be my only option...

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
The problem is I have over 5000 pics in my Aperture library that I cant lose. I need to get them out some how. I'm thinking buying Aperture 3 is gonna be my only option...
If you have Aperture of any version installed on your computer, if you open the App Store app you'll probably find that you can get 3 as a free upgrade.
Edit: that may only apply to an existing version 3.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
If you have Aperture of any version installed on your computer, if you open the App Store app you'll probably find that you can get 3 as a free upgrade.
Edit: that may only apply to an existing version 3.
Yeah that was one of the first things I did. It wants to charge me $79.99

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
Yeah that was one of the first things I did. It wants to charge me $79.99
Some users reported that installing a trial version of 3 was converted to the newest full version. I have no idea if that works anymore, or if you'd be able to find a trial version online.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Some users reported that installing a trial version of 3 was converted to the newest full version. I have no idea if that works anymore, or if you'd be able to find a trial version online.
Yeah I remember reading that awhile back too. I'm just unable to find the trial .dmg

I don't even care about getting the full version. I just need to be able to get my photos out of Aperture and into iPhoto.

Last edited:

Hrhnick

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2013

shady825

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
If you just need to extract the photos, you can manually open the Aperture Library in finder, and import the masters into a new iPhoto Library.

See: https://documentation.apple.com/en/aperture/usermanual/index.html#chapter=4&section=12&tasks=true

The Aperture library is essentially just a folder for a bunch of database files and the original/edited pictures.
This will let you pull the photos out, but you will lose any albums/projects/organization.
Thanks for the help. Finally getting somewhere. Now the problem is, I have over 5000 photos. Is there a way to just grab them all and dump them in iPhoto?
Preview opens 1,134 photos and then crashes out every time.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Got it!

If I control click to show package contents, I can then drag my project folders into iPhoto. Thanks for the help Hrhnick!