Aperture 2 or iPhoto '08?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by petvas, Feb 19, 2008.

?

Aperture 2 or iPhoto '08???

Poll closed Feb 29, 2008.
  1. Aperture 2

12 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. iPhoto '08

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Ok, I have trouble deciding which software I should use to manage my digital photo collection. I am not a pro, just an amateur. I have a Canon Powershot S5 IS that doesn't support RAW photos. My collection consists of approx. 6700 Photos. Up until now I have been using iPhoto and I was pretty happy with it. Now that Aperture 2 came out I decided to give it a try and I liked it very much, so much I thought it would be a good idea to use it instead of iPhoto. I still can't decide though. What do you think? Should I stick to iPhoto or go ahead and use Aperture?
    Here is a list of all the things I like and dislike in both programs:

IPhoto
    Pros
    • Integration with Mac OS X is great.
    • Works with Time Machine (I value that very very much)
    • It is very simple and has basic editing capabilities that are most of the times sufficient for me.
    • I like the interface a lot
    • It supports Video taken from my Digital Camera. I can see my videos inside iPhoto
    • .Mac Integration is great
    • I can create Books and calendars very easy

Cons
    • While editing an image the program doesn't tell you what areas are over or underexposed. Aperture does that and helps me achieve results faster.
    • I would like to organize Events and put them under folders. For example I would have a folder named "Friends" and under that folder I would have all events that are related to my friends. iPhoto can't do that - Aperture can
    • In comparison to Aperture, iPhoto is slower on my Quad mac pro

Aperture 2
    Pros
    • Very very fast
    • Editing is great and very simple even for the amateur
    • Organizing my Photos works better with Aperture. I can have events inside folders. An event can also have Albums beneath them.
    • Integration with Mac OS X is good
    • .Mac Integration is very good

Cons
    • Time Machine integration. I want to be able to restore a single image using Time Machine. TM should also be able to backup the Aperture library while Aperture is running and copy only the differences each time it backs up Aperture. This is a major point and needs to be addressed.
    • It cannot import Videos taken from my Camera. It would be nice to have them, just like in IPhoto (though I understand the reason they aren't there)
    • There is no option for automatic backups. Using the Vault is a bad implemented idea...
    • Doesn't allow for the creation of Calendars (not a big deal but still iPhoto has it)

So, after reading all these, what would you choose? Thanks!

2. tsincaat macrumors member

Aperture is obviously a much more advanced tool then iPhoto. I would choose Aperture. I think of iPhoto of a more basic, family tool that a someone could learn on, then move up to Aperture. Aperture is something you can grow with, whereas iPhoto is going to be more limiting.

3. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

I know that Aperture is more advanced. The thing is, what do you think suits my needs best? I know that if Aperture supported Time Machine, I wouldn't be asking this question...

4. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

i think you've already answered your own question there...

you need time machine support, so there is only 1 option..

5. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

I can backup Aperture on a schedule. I have written a script to do so, but still I feel it's a shame that I have to use that. I use Time Machine to backup everything else and I am not very fond of the idea of creating alternate backup strategies. Still, I find it shame that this could be the only reason not to use Aperture...

6. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Well if you're not a Pro, go iPhoto... If you bought a Mac after iLife '08 came out then it's free or it's just a 80$ investment compare to what ever the price of Aperture is (sorry I can't check right now, Apple Store is down =D).

All I know is that Aperture seems like a pro tool like FCE/FCP compare to iPhoto so the price might be higher. So why not see if you like iPhoto '08? With iLife '08 you get iDVD, iWeb, iMovie, GarageBand, + iPhoto so you don't lose much.

I say, go with iPhoto.

7. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

I have been using iPhoto '08 since the day it came out. The question is if I should upgrade to Aperture...
    Aperture costs 199$ or 199€ (for us europeans...)

8. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Then we can't tell you anything...

That's your decision, you're the person buying it and you already tried out iPhoto. How about you download a demo of Aperture (if you can) and see if you like it?

After that, it's all you... If you feel like you need it, then get it, you have nothing to really loose except 200$, that's if you don't like it, if you like it, you got yourself a good program.

Good luck

9. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

I have been using Aperture for the last three days and the only thing I dislike is the lack of Time Machine integration.
    On the other side I will have to say that iPhoto satisfies my editing needs, although many times I have to guess what is wrong with a picture. Aperture tells you instead immediately.

10. eqinespecter macrumors newbie

another problem with both

programs is lack of resizing...a nice feature of Photoshop (and other 'stronger' editing programs like Corel painter). Now I may be wrong about Aperture as I have been playing with a 30 day trial) but you sure cannot resize/custom resolution etc using iPhoto....a factor that might play a role in your decision. Another option might be the new $90 Photoshop version (can't think of name right off the bat).

11. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

In iPhoto you can resize an image when exporting it. I don't know about Aperture but I will check.

12. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

Aperture does resize images through the export option.

13. eqinespecter macrumors newbie

I may be using the wrong jargon

but if I need to use an image (in my case a photograph of a painting) for a show, I normally export the image and open it with photoshop in order to adjust the final dimensions/resolution....eg, the show requirements might be images that are 300 dpi (with a max of 2000 x 1800 pixels). I have never able to do this with iPhoto. Have I missed something?

14. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

No, iPhoto does basic resizing. You can't change DPI

15. eqinespecter macrumors newbie

you are right!

thanks for pointing that out......silly of me not to have noticed this before as I do a lot of exporting to web pages like picasa.

So, my objections can be ignored. Have you tried the new photoshop program (I will look up the name)?

16. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Personally I use both, with Aperture as my primary tool for serious photography and iPhoto for simple cataloguing of family snaps etc (bear in mind also that iPhoto can access an Aperture library, so if you want to create calendars etc, you can). If you're serious about your photography, Aperture is the tool for you.

17. eqinespecter macrumors newbie

18. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

As I said, I am not a pro, I am just an amateur with a point and shoot camera (a good one though) that doesn't do raw.
    I like my photos though to look good and I like both programs...

19. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Not being pro doesn't preclude you from being serious about your photography :D

For what it's worth, I'm not pro either - although I do sometimes shoot images for print, and I do own a DSLR. I've been using Aperture since it first came out and really wouldn't want to be without it these days - it's very much the 'digital darkroom' and is a seriously useful tool if you manipulate your images.

20. eqinespecter macrumors newbie

In my 3 day trial (so far) of Aperture...it really feels 'slick'. I have a little bit of a learning curve (coming from iPhoto) but the two programs complement each other. What do you do if you need to manipulate dpi?

21. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

Since I can't really decide, I came up with the following idea:
    Use both programs together. iPhoto will be used for importing all images I shoot with my camera and Aperture will be used for editing and organizing the library. I can always use both, and Time Machine will work for my iPhoto library. The Aperture library won't be that big since it will not contain any images, so I will be able to backup it up daily with Time Machine, using a script to end Aperture and then start it again (I allow a couple of hours for TM to do its job).
    That way I keep the best of both worlds!

22. Mac Addict macrumors member

Mac Addict

I'm also new to Aperture, but have used iPhoto for a few years now... just taking my photo hobby up a notch. Can I just use Aperture to adjust/edit images, then drop the finished photo back into iPhoto for TM & organization?

23. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

Yes, you can. Just use the IPhoto browser inside Aperture, drag and drop the pic in Aperture, edit it and when you are ready you can export it or use the Aperture Library browser in iPhoto to copy the pic.

24. Mac Addict macrumors member

Mac Addict

This seems like the obvious solution for me, but what would be the advantage of migrating my iPhoto library into Aperture? Migrating into Aperture seems to be the popular route, not the back and forth I'm thinking about.

25. Michael73 macrumors 65816

Like many on this thread I'm on day 3 of my Aperture 2 trial and really think it's head and shoulders above iPhoto. Admittedly, Aperture is more of an organization/management/workflow tool than serious post-production tool. Most pros have set up Aperture to open PS to do their editing. My goal is to learn PS but not right now due to cost and the time commitment involved.

My new flow will now be: iPhoto '08 <--> Aperture 2 <--> Photoshop Elements 6

Elements 6 offers many of the advantages of it's big brother while doing a lot of the work behind the scenes by creating a UI that's more consumer friendly and less pro oriented.