Aperture 2 - Share same photo library as iPhoto?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Eluzion, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Eluzion macrumors 6502

I'm curious if there's a way to possibly have Aperture 2 share the same library as iPhoto? What it's doing now is importing all of my photos from iPhoto so I have two copies of the same photos on my computer (which takes up quite a bit of space). Is it possible to just setup Aperture 2 to use the iPhoto library without copying them over (or vice versa)? Thanks.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You can use referenced masters in Aperture. But Aperture edits won't show up in iPhoto as Aperture does not destructively edit the file like iPhoto does. The cleanest solution is to choose once and just use that.

3. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

Agreed, but I would advise you to import your iPhoto library into Aperture. I will sting for a few days, but you will realize very quickly that you made the correct choice as Aperture 2 is really *really* good for editing and cataloging photo's. The Aperture workflow has been streamlined to a point where I have little need for anything else.

I was struggling with the same problem before aperture 2 came out, It would be nice to be able to use both programs with the same library (transferring libraries is a pain in the ass). After 1 month with Aperture 2, I have left iPhoto behind for good.

4. Eluzion thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, after messing with Apeture 2 a bit, it seems like it has all the capabilities iPhoto has? I might just toss iPhoto then.

Any idea why my iPhoto library is a few GB larger than my Apeture library when they both contain the same images?

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

iPhoto has to store 2 copies of any image you edit: the original to allow you to revert and the modified one. Aperture does not. Because it never changes the image file it only stores the image and a "recipe" of changes to allow it to render your changed image on demand.

This is probably the coolest thing about Aperture and allows for lots of experimentation without using lots of disk space. You can create new versions of an image at the cost of a few Kb, not a few Mb...