Aperture 2 & Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by petvas, Feb 17, 2008.

1. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I have problem backing up my aperture library using Time Machine under Mac OS X 10.5.2. I see in console.log the following entry:

"/System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[6940] Node requires deep traversal:/Users/petvas/Pictures/Aperture Library.aplibrary reason:kFSEDBEventFlagContainsChanges|kFSEDBEventFlagMustScanSubDirs|kFSEDBEventFlagReasonFSEvent|kFSEDBEventFlagReasonMissedReservation| "

If I close Aperture, then Time Machine backs up the library with no problems. This is a big issue for me as I recently migrated from iPhoto. I am not a professional Photographer, I just like the advanced features of Aperture. If this problem persists I will return to iPhoto...

2. myod-rules macrumors newbie

Time Machine and Aperture do not work together. Unlike iPhoto, Time Machine cannot "see" into the Aperture library to show you changes at the individual photo level. Time Machine sees your Aperture library as a single massive file, and backs up the whole thing whenever you tweak a picture.

Aperture has it's own back-up tool built into the app - called Vaults.

I think there a directions on Apple's site, but I'll summarize:
    1) Go to the Time Machine preferences and EXCLUDE your Aperture library from Time Machine back-ups.
    2) Go to Aperture and set up a new vault for your library. My vault is on the same drive as my Time Machine, which is not optimal, but it works.

3. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

If Time Machine were to back up the Aperture Library while Aperture was running, due to the way Aperture works, it would cause inconsistencies in the library (basically it would get corrupted). That is Apple's solution, while Aperture is running don't touch the Library and then back it up when you quite Aperture.

4. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

I find Aperture's backup solution very basic. It doesn't even have support for scheduled backups, or am I missing something?

5. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

EDIT: Read your post wrong.

Yes, Aperture's system is very basic. I just use TM to deal with it.

6. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

So, the Vault backs up the Aperture Library on an hourly basis?

EDIT: Just read your updated post!

7. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

How do you use it? Do you just close Aperture and let Time Machine backup the library up?

Could someone use another program like Chronosync to sync the library to an external disk? (with Aperture running)

8. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I have TM set to back up my entire hard drive, and just let it do it's thing when I am done with Aperture. You could probably set up another syncing application to take care of your backup, but I would still stay away from doing anything while Aperture is open. If you just back up when you are done working in Aperture you should be fine.

9. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

I have found a way to automatically do this:
    I created an Automator script that closes Aperture, copies the Library to an external Hard Drive and then starts Aperture again.
    Then I used Cronix, a GUI for Cron to schedule a job to run the Automator script. It seems to be working fine.
    Still, I think that Apple should make Aperture 100% compatible with Time Machine. It's a shame actually. How many backup solutions should we have?

10. Jebaloo macrumors 6502

My Aperture library is over 100GB in size. If TM only backs it up as a whole file, then I don't want to be doing that every day! Is this correct?

Can I use vault on same HD as TM, do I need to partition?

11. aristobrat macrumors G5

12. Jebaloo macrumors 6502

13. John Purple macrumors regular

I have the vault on the same HD as TM with no problem, but my backup HD has double the size of my (working) HD.

BTW I can not imagine how TM would work with Aperture files because going back in time does only make sense if you can go back for every single picture without changing the others. This can be done with Aperture anyway, as you allways can revert single or multiple changes you made to your pictures from your actual file.

14. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

The fix in 10.5.2 is that Time Machine ignores the Aperture library. You need to back it up yourself.

Use Vault. Then using something else to backup your Vault. You can set up more than 1 Vault and rotate them, depending on your level of paranoia.

I have 2 Vaults, which are identical. My Mac Pro has 4 internal 1 TB drives. My Aperture library is on Drive #1, my vault #1 is on Drive #2. That gives me 2 copies of everything. Then, I use Super Duper to clone Drive #1 to Drive #3, and Drive #2 to Drive #4, every night. That way, within a few hours of uploading pictures, I have 4 copies. Of course, my mistakes also get replicated quickly.

Vault #2 is on an external 1 TB/FW 800 drive. I haven't done it yet, but my intention is to get 2 such drives, and rotate them weekly. I'll keep the drive-not-in-use at my work.

I backup the library to DVD once a month. I also use Mozy.

Yes, I'm fanatical about backups.

Don't rely on Time Machine for Aperture. Works great otherwise, but not for Aperture.

15. Jebaloo macrumors 6502

This could get very complicated! Added to by the fact that I don't really understand how to use the vault tool. Every time i make a vault and then want to update it, it makes me wipe it entirely and create a new one. I don't know if I'm just being thick, or if this is a common problem.

16. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

Yep. And, I forgot to mention the Referenced vs. Managed Masters issue -- Vault does not backup Referenced Masters. So, if you go the route of Referenced Masters, you need a separate backup solution for those Masters, although it seems to me that TM would work for those, assuming they are just individual files on your hard drive somewhere.

I think you can approach this more simply:

1. Create at least one vault that contains your entire library.
    2. If you have the option (ie, if you have 2 drives), create your vault and library on separate drives.
    3. Update your vault every time you add photos to your library.

Those steps give you good protection. For even better protection:

4. Use some solution to backup your vault (or library, or both, as I do) to separate media. If you can, end up with an offsite backup, such as by using an online backup service or swap external hard drives.
    5. For photos that it would kill you to lose (such as your child's 1st birthday party), upload the best of them to an online photo site, such as Flickr or (even better) Smugmug.

Assuming you use Managed Masters, this should save you from 99% of problems. There are other solutions -- I recall someone posting that they never delete the originals from the memory card, and they just keep buying memory cards. For me, that would get really expensive, but I suppose if you shoot in jpg and don't shoot much it might work.

Edit:

Yah, the manual & help files are less than helpful on vaults. Here is what I think works...

Look at the bottom of the Project pane. You see the word "Vault" with 3 little buttons. Click the Options button. Select Add Vault, then enter the location and name of your Vault. As above, create it on a separate hard drive if you can.

Good article on all of this here.

17. Jebaloo macrumors 6502

Does this mean that we don't need to worry about having, or not having Aperture open whilst TM is running?

18. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Yes.

19. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

You will have to exclude the Aperture Library from Time Machine though

20. Jebaloo macrumors 6502

But if the latest software fix suggests that this problem is solved (see above), then doesn't it mean that TM automatically ignores Aperture without me telling it to?

21. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

No.
    TM will back up the Aperture library without messing it up.

22. Jebaloo macrumors 6502

So, to conclude (because we have some serious disparities in opinion here)

The latest software fix means that:

a) you can leave Aperture open whilst Time Machine is running

b) Time machine will back up the Aprture library (not referenced files obviously, only those that TM is told to back-up)

c) I don't necessarily need to use the 'vault' feature in Aperture because Time Machine will look after all of it for me. (Unless I want to use the vault feature for double protection or whatever)

Yes, yes, and yes?

23. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

Time Machine can't backup Aperture if it is running. I have tried it and it doesn't work. Time Machine will also backup (assuming Aperture isn't running) the library but doesn't understand the differences in it, so every time the library changes it will backup the entire file!

24. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

yes yes yes
    Yes, but is that really that big of a deal to you? All I care about is that if something happens I have the backup, I don't care how it gets there as long as it does. If you care that much that it's going to wait until Aperture is closed and will have to backup the whole library then use the vault.

25. Jebaloo macrumors 6502

Well it is a massive problem to me, my Aperture library is over 100GB, and I can't be dealing with my computer whirring away all night backing that up on a daily basis. Is that what it would do?