Aperture 2 trial slowness

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Westside guy, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Hey all,

I'm currently trying out the Lightroom beta and Aperture 2 (I own Aperture 1.5). Now there are things about Lightroom that still drive me nuts - the way the crop tool works just seems silly to me - but Aperture 2 is slow as a dog on my Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz MacBook Pro, especially in full screen mode! I was just trying to adjust the saturation on a photo, after rotating it a couple degrees and cropping, and there are moments of total blackness every time I move the slider! Aperture 1.5 did not have this issue.

The "rotate by an arbitrary angle" works much better in Aperture 2 (versus 1.5), I must say - but the overall lag is highly annoying.

So is it just me (or my computer), or are other people seeing this? I've read several places about speed improvements in Aperture 2, but overall I'm not seeing it.

P.S. BTW is there a Lightroom user out there that'd be willing to "sponsor" me so I can use the beta longer than 30 days? :D

Edit: Just found a thread on the Apple discussion boards about the "black screen" when using the saturation and luminance sliders. Glad it's not just me...

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Since I upgraded to Aperture 2.1 it simply flies on my steam driven (compared with yours ;)) 2GHz G5 with just 1 GB of RAM.

I tried your adjust saturation, rotate a couple of degrees and then crop - with no "nasties".

Just for info, a few weeks ago I had the feeling my machine was not running as fast as I thought it should. I ran the "Verify Disc" in "Disc Utility" and it reported there were errors on the disc. Running "Disc Utility" from the Install Disc it "repaired" the fault and now everything works with a new lease of life!

You may find this is worth doing on your machine.