Aperture 3.1?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ipedro, Sep 28, 2010.

1. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

I'm wondering what the production cycle is like for Aperture. Isn't Aperture 3.1 due for release any time soon? Does Apple ever release Aperture betas for testing and if so, any indication as to when we can expect a new point update to hit?

Aperture 3 has some serious issues with memory hogging. A top of the line MacBookPro with 4GB has trouble running it with a library of 40,000 photos (in different projects, folder separated). I've tried all the tips in the book and I'm currently running Aperture with Faces off. The application just isn't responsive. :(

2. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Here's no memory leak in Aperture since the first update. 4 gigs of ram isn't that's much though for doing raw editing.

3. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

8gb

I updated my MacBookPro with 8GB RAM and 1TB HDD and Aperture 3.1.1 is running blazing fast.

Apple should really up their minimum specs. There's no way 2GB can run this application.

4. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

My laptop is limited to 3GB and it sucks performance wise.

5. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Then use Bibble Pro or Adobe Lightroom instead of Aperture -- they're both faster than Aperture and require less system resources.

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Aperture is much more efficient then Lightroom. I use both frequently (almost daily) and Aperture is by far faster. The only reason I also still use Lightroom is because I have a ton of Lightroom libraries (since I used Lightroom since beta) and have requests for reprints and such.

7. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I use Lightroom now and again and I can't get my head around how it organises my photographs. I've also never noticed a performance increase. I think a placebo effect is in place. It's modular nature is also a limitation.

Bibble Pro however, I've not tried, but will take a look.

8. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

Being a former Bibble Pro user, I cannot recommend them any longer. As a company they made and broke promises on functionality and service.

For over a year, people were locked in to older cameras because Bibble would not update their application while waiting to release the next big thing (v5). People were told to modify their workflows, shoot JPG instead of RAW, etc.