Aperture 3.5.1 on App Store

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Badrottie, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Why is Apple still selling Aperture when it was announced it was discounted???
    I don't understand it. :apple:

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Because someone might want to use it prior to switching to the new Photos app. They only stated that development was being discontinued after the Yosemite update, not that it was discontinued. There have been many products that they stopped developing but continued to sell like the iPod Classic and the cMBP.

3. MCAsan, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014

MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Just because it will not have further development does not mean the current version stops working. Currently the only alternative that matches up to Aperture is Adobe Lightroom (DAM + editor+plugin support). Current Aperture users may want to hold on to Aperture until Apple releases Photos. Then they can decide when to migrate from Aperture....and to which other app.

4. Badrottie thread starter Suspended

Badrottie

The price still the same... Apple gave up competing with Adobe and everyone can afford cheap Aperture than Lightroom or is it same price? :apple:

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They promised support through Yosemite, so its still being actively supported.

6. robgendreau macrumors 68040

It certainly seems like it wouldn't kill them to offer it for free. Sheesh. If it will transition so seamlessly to their new offering, why not?

But aside from the money, unless you have a very specific need for it (some folks have to do things with iPhoto libraries and whatnot that are still most easily done with Aperture) why bother learning it now?

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I agree it is absolutely shameful they continue to sell it for full price with no notice in the App Store that it is EOL. They even continue to list it at the top of the Photography Category in the store. They should at least but some sort of notice up.

Most of us dweebs here follow the tech news and know it is EOL, but how many people do you think see this in the App Store and spend the $79 not realizing it is EOL.

[​IMG]

8. Jessica Lares, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014

Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Aperture 3.5.1 on App Store

EOL doesn't mean it doesn't work. There is lots and lots of plugins still made for it, and it'll probaby be supported by third-parties for at least another year or even more.

9. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

10. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

From the consumer's point of view, "free" is the best price. For anything. For any justification they can conjure.

This is classic market economics. The seller offers a product at a price. If people don't buy it, the seller can decide whether to adjust the price in order to attract more buyers. If a product tops the sales charts, there's not much evidence to support a price cut.

We could be talking hardware, software, cars, the daily newspaper... Outside of periodic sales promotions, the price remains the same until the next model/edition arrives. If there's excess inventory of the old model, then they may have an inventory reduction sale before the new model/edition arrives. If there are no inventory problems, there are no discounts.

As far as Aperture is concerned, Apple has zero inventory, hence nothing to liquidate. They may have a motive to recover their R&D costs, but those were probably recovered a long time ago. At this point, every sale is gravy. The only questions that remain are, "Do we want to encourage people to switch to Aperture, when Photos is just around the corner?" and "Will we sell enough at the discounted price that we make more than if we'd sold it at full price to fewer people?"

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't think anybody has said that.

So you don't think it is unethical or wrong at all for Apple to continue to sell and promote an app that is EOL without telling consumers this fact?

12. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Don't a lot of software companies do that? I mean, we all buy app bundles with software that's just about to be replaced with a new one...

I think it's important for people to do their research before they press a button that says $79.99 in the App Store. Read the reviews for it below the description to begin with for instance.

For people who even need this software, that price isn't even a lot to ask for. I've sold prints at a bigger price tag. People are making such a big deal about it when Adobe left the Lightroom 4 guys out in the cold.

13. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Actually Aperture on the App store was a surprise to me. I had Aperture as a keyed, standalone application purchased boxed from an Apple Store, and Aperture just popped up for me on day in the App store after the announcement it was being discontinued.