Aperture 3? Anyone got it yet?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cam42, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Cam42 macrumors member

Probably not the first thread on this, please excuse me if it's a dupe.

Considering buying Aperture 3 with a new MacBook pro soon, anyone have it? Do you like it? Is it worth $200? How much of an upgrade from iPhoto is it?

2. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Yes, there is already much discussion about Aperture 3. There really isn't a reason to start yet another thread.

3. Scorch07 macrumors 6502

Well what sort of things do you do? Worth it is such a contextual question. Is it worth it for my mom? No. Is it worth it for a pretty serious photographer? Definitely. Really depends on what you need from your photo editing software.

4. Cam42 thread starter macrumors member

Oh, I thought I wrote in my photography experience in the OP.
    I'm fairly amateur, but I'm working to get better, and taking photography in school next year. It's much cheaper than Photoshop, and PS has a bunch of features that I don't use for photography.

5. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Tons of discussions on this here and elsewhere.

For the most part, its receiving rave reviews do to the inclusion of brushes for local edits.

I've been playing with the trial and I'm very pleased myself, I've switched from aperture to LR this past summer but given the additions, I'll be switching back.

I don't see adobe improving the organization of the images as much as apple has, i.e., Apple's DAM is superior and I also don't see LR having the same level of integration that aperture has. I can easily sync my iPhone, include the images in iWeb, and rapidweaver (A realmacsoftware product) and other apple products.

I've compared the RAW processing and while I will give an edge to LR on how it does stuff, I'm easily able to produce similar results. The brightness/contrast/recovery/blackpoint in LR seems to produce small difference then in aperture. nothing major just a difference in scaling.

I also like LR's grid view but Aperture's comes close and overall Aperture's UI and non-modal interface is much more preferred then the restrictive modal interface of Lr

7. qua macrumors member

tips

As I posted elsewhere here in more detail. If you are upgrading:
    1- Turn off screensaver.
    2- DISABLE the REPROCESS option. It's totally unecessary since there is a button to do this with each image when you look at it. Saves 90% of the loooong upgrade process.
    3- Afterwards, disable faces until you go to bed.
    4- Where is the much need lens aberration correction?

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I disagree. I turned off faces before upgrading and I made sure I processed them so I wouldn't need to worry about later. Getting it done upfront improves overall performance since you don't need to reprocess them at a later time